12.) Friendship

(Kai POV.)

I walked down towards the hospital again, on my way to see (Y/N). It suddenly became a daily routine of mine. And of course, (Y/N) is my priority and not a choice.

I love her too much for that. She made me change into a different person and I'm happy about that. She's the first person who led me to experience love and it was quite scary.

But for her, it's worth wild.

As I walk into the hospital building, I checked myself in and walked into the elevator. I pressed the button that had the number 5 on it since (Y/N) was on the fifth floor.

The elevator doors closed and I leaned my back against the wall, waiting. I wondered if anyone else knew about (Y/N)'s accident that night. I shook my head, trying to tell myself that no one else saw.

But I was secretly wrong.

The elevator made a 'ding' as the doors slid open. I walked out and headed towards (Y/N)'s room. It had been a couple weeks and (Y/N) still hasn't woken up from her coma yet. I was curious of how it felt but it was terrifying being the one who can't experience what she's feeling.

I've started to get worried about her. I walked into (Y/N)'s room and sat next to her. "Hey, (Y/N). How have you been?" I asked. But she still didn't answer. "I've been practicing for the contest at school, and I'm sorry I couldn't practice with you before."

I stared at her emotionless expression. Only the monitor could be heard through that brief silence. I finally spoke up again. 

"It was really stupid of me. If I hadn't chose my stupid mistakes over you, this wouldn't have happened," I said to her. I ran my fingers through her soft, luscious hair. "Your hair is beautiful. It is very soft and it's very easy to run my fingers through it," I said.

"I wish I could play with your hair everyday. That would make me happy," I said as I caressed her cheek. "I don't know if you can hear me or not, but I hope you're doing well," I said to her and kissed her forehead.

I heard a knock at the door. I stood up and answered, "Come in."

The doctor walked in with a smile on her face. "Hello Kai, how is (Y/N)?" She asked.

"She's doing fine. Heart rate is normal, her pulse is normal, and her breathing is normal too," I answered.

I do this every time I come to see (Y/N). I make sure everything is okay and normal so the doctors can have some information about her progress. I've watched them do it multiple times for her so I just took the liberty of doing so.

"Okay. Well, I'm just going to check her lungs to see if they're doing what they are supposed to do. Then I'm just going to check her pulses to see if they're normal since the last time you checked them," the doctor replied.

"Okay," I said as I walked to sit down in a chair as I observed her and (Y/N). I felt a buzz in my pocket and realized I got a text from someone. I took my phone out and looked at the called ID. It was Krystal. The message read,

"You miss me, don't you? It's not too late to get back together and start the deal again, y'know?"

I sighed before shoving my phone back inside my pocket, not even bothering to answer her. Her clinginess was beginning to really annoy the hell out of me. The doctor was finally finished as I stood up. "Is she okay now?" I asked.

The doctor smiled. "She is doing just fine. Her progress to waking up is to about 55% chance now," she replied.

I smiled widely. "Really?! Thank you so much, Doctor!" I said as I bowed to her. She laughed.

"Don't be like that. Just call me Dr. Kim," she said as I nod. "Thank you so much, Dr. Kim. But I have a question I've wanted to ask," I said.

Dr. Kim nodded. "Sure. What's your question?" She asked.

"Well, how can I supposed to talk to her when I don't even know if she can hear me? I was wondering if you have the ability to know whether she can hear voices or not," I asked.

Dr. Kim shook her head. "I'm sorry, but I don't have the ability to do so. But I know that she will tell you she can hear you. Just keep talking to her," she replied with a smile. She took all her paper work and left the room.

I sighed before I looked at the time. 5:30 pm. "Maybe I should go get some dinner," I said to myself. I walked over to (Y/N) and kissed her forehead again.

"I'll be right back, (Y/N). I'm going out to get some food. I promise you won't have to wait long," I said to her as I left the room.

(30 minutes later...)

I walked back into (Y/N)'s room and said, "I'm back-" but cut myself off when I saw someone sitting on her bed. I stared at the back of the person's head and noticed that it was a male. "Um, who are you-" I cut myself off again when I finally saw his face.

"Baekhyun?" I asked. Baekhyun turned to me and said, "Oh, hey Kai. I thought you went home."

I shook my head and said, "No, I didn't. What are you doing here?" Baekhyun stood up and walked over to me.

"Checking up on (Y/N), what else?" He replied.

I slightly glared at him. "No... I mean how did you know (Y/N) was here?" I asked.

Baekhyun smirked. "It seems like you didn't see me at the accident," he said.

My eyes widened. "You were there?" I asked.

Baekhyun nodded. "I heard a crash when I was walking home. I saw a whole bunch of people gathering around. That's when I saw you holding someone in your arms and crying. It took my quite a while to figure out that (Y/N) was the one you were holding," he said. "But I did some of the research for myself."

"Then why didn't you tell me anything until now?" I asked.

"Because I knew you would overreact about it. And besides, I bet (Y/N) would rather see her best friend than the one who betrayed her," Baekhyun replied.

I grabbed his collar. "And how do you know she'd would want that?" I asked, now glaring at him fully.

"Because I love her," he replied. I shoved him away hard.

"Get the hell out of here, Baekhyun," I said to him.

"Hey, that's not how you should treat your hyung. And besides, you have no chance, Kai. I've known (Y/N) longer than you have and I bet she would choose me over you," Baekhyun said.

I looked to him about to say something but figured I shouldn't. Should I really be wasting my breath?

He smirked. "I know how much you love her, Kai. But this is war now. Friendship doesn't matter anymore. (Y/N) is all that matters now," he said as he walked out the door and left.

I sighed before looking at (Y/N). That's right. Friendship doesn't matter. (Y/N) is the only thing that matters now.