Chapter 2 Jack White in Black

"You're wearing black again Jack, I thought your favorite color was red", Bobby said taking a sip of his beer and then belching out the fumes.

"Why do you care? Fuck off", Jack said grabbing his Jack Daniels from one of the end tables and sitting down opposite of Bobby on the couch. 

Jack, Bobby, Max, and James were sitting in his living room smoking, drinking and relaxing before their show tonight. It was only 4 PM and they had at least 2 more hours to kill before they needed to get going, especially since Bobby had decided that he was going to invite his annoying little girlfriend and one her friends to go along with them to the show.

"I don't care I'm just curious bro", Bobby said taking a puff of his cigarette. "Its no secret that I think you're the weirdest person in Detroit."

 "Yet here you are still trying to be my girlfriend", Jack said tossing Bobby a humorous look and  swigging some Jack Daniels straight out of the bottle.

Max, who was already drunk and starting to act like it giggled. "Speaking of girlfriend", he began taking a puff of his cigarette. "Bobby's HOPA is coming with her best friend. The one Bobby is really trying get to."

"You mean you're playing  Hannah then?", Jack asked, feeling slightly uncomfortable placing the bottle of Jack Daniels on the coffee table.

 It was no secret that Bobby played cruel mind games with every single girl he dated, but there was something too innocent about Hannah. She was annoying and ditzy as all get out, but there was a sweetness and genuineness about her that Jack thought you couldn't really find in girls these days. Too bad it was going to be ripped out by a jerk like Bobby.

"Fuck yeah, when have I ever liked blondes?! Man her friend is next level is prude. I've been trying to get to KoJo's MoJo for years."

"KoJo what?", Jack asked confused.

"Kojo's Mojo", Max said, har-haring before taking another puff of his cigarette and reaching for the Jack Daniels on the table.

"Her name is KoJo", Bobby said. "And she has no idea where her 'mojo' is. Someone needs to just stick their fingers in and twist all around until KoJo's Mojo comes out."

"You're a fucking pervert", Jack said shaking his head in disbelief at Bobby. Somethings Bobby said about girls really made Jack sick, but what could he do.

He glanced toward the stairs, hoping Meg hadn't heard any of their conversation. Max noticed and glanced upstairs, too.

"Is Meg home", Max said, his voice too eager.

Jack felt a surge of rage. Although him and Meg weren't together anymore, and hadn't been for almost a year, he was still overprotective of her and hated  that so many guys couldn't wait to get their hands on her when they knew they had broken up. Jack wasn't having it as she was still living with him and no guy was coming in his house to mess with her. They weren't officially divorced yet.

"No", Jack said bluntly putting out his cigarette in the ashtray sitting on his end table. He reached forward and snatched the bottle of Jack Daniels from Max's hand.

Max, and everyone else took the hint, and no one said another word about Meg that night.

***

"Alright I'll meet you guys at there", Bobby said waving goodbye and getting into his midnight blue mustang. Jack watched as he sped off the down road and bending the corner.

"He's going to kill someone one day", James said shaking his head and getting into Jack's van.

Max followed and Jack took the driver's seat. He cranked up the piece of junk and put it in reverse. He was halfway down the road before the front door opened and Meg's pale ass came running down the driveway.

"Stop the car its Meg!", Max screeched.

Jack stopped and watched curious as Meg approached the van. She looked as if she was going out, with her leather coat and red beret.

"Let me catch a ride with you guys", Meg said. 

"I thought you had to work tonight", Jack said as Meg opened the van door and hopped in sitting next to Max. 

" Boss called and said there is not enough business for me to come in", Meg said shrugging and slamming the van door shut.

Jack inwardly sighed, knowing full well Meg had called off. She always did this when she wanted to go to a gig. Jack didn't even know why she had a second job, she was never on it.

They drove the short distance to the Gold Dollar,  and Jack, Max, and James unloaded all their gear and set up.Meg wandered off, probably talking to Dave who owned the place. The show didn't start until 9:00 and doors opened at 8:00. They had a few minutes until doors opened and were sitting in the back.

"Fuck where's Bobby", James moaned. "We aint got no setlist yet."

"Calm down man, its the same songs as we played in rehearsals", Max said matter of factly.

"But in what order?!", James said.

Jack took a flyer announcing their bands performance tonight and wrote on the back of it the set list they were to be playing.

A look of relief washed over James. For a musician, James was way too uptight. Jack promised himself that he would not be that "organized" when it came to music. When he played with Meg, they never had a setlist.

"You guys!"

Jack looked behind him to see Carl, a bouncer come in. 

"There is a curly red haired goddess here tonight."

Jack's interest spiked at the mention of red hair. He had always liked women with red hair. His childhood crush, that no one knew about, had big red hair. It felt really good against his skin when she held him down and kissed him once.

"Thats probably KoJo you're talking about", Max said.

"I don't know but she came in with Bobby and his new girl."

"Yeah thats KoJo", Max confirmed. "Bobby is really trying her mojo, not Hannah's."

"Word?", Carl said, nearly bumping into Jack.

"Oh hey Jack", he said. "Man, I swear, you always wearing black these days."

Why can't people just leave him alone about his clothes, Jack thought.

"We should start referring to him as Jack White in Black", James said and everyone in the room laughed at his lame joke.