Chapter 6 The Need to Be Liked

Jack

Jack couldn't stop his eyeroll seeing that particular group at such a manufactured place like Willie's. He normally would avoid the store altogether, but Kristin had called to apologize for last night and after several minutes of sweet nothings and begging, he finally agreed to meet her at the mall, a place she hung out nearly every day.

 Despite  only being a rebound, Kristin was a good lover. She was very giving, something he was not used to. He did not love her, and he did not want to be with her, but she was a comfort in this very tough time for him. He hadn't been with anyone in nearly a year, and Kristin was so willing that he could not resist.

They sat for what seemed like forever, talking about their "relationship" in the coffee shop.  Kristin confessed about spilling the beans, and said she would make it up to Jack, which he kind of was looking forward to. They had made up of sorts, and started talking about music again, and they decided to make a date of the whole thing and go record shopping, and that is how he ended up in Willie's and facing Bobby, who hadn't said two words to since last night.

Jack could feel Bobby's gaze as the group made their way over to him. He took the time to note that it was Max, Bobby, Hannah, and the new girl, KoJo. 

"What is that in your cup it looks so good", Hannah said her eyes zeroing in on  the tall plastic cup in Kristin's hand. A souvenir from the deep chat they had earlier. 

"Mocha frappe. I got it from this new place that just opened in the mall called Starbucks", Kristen explained. "I am in need of a refill, you guys wanna come with." 

Kristin successfully rounded up the two girls  and they proceeded out of the store and into the mall. Kristin cast back a look at Jack as if instructing him to make up with Bobby.

As the girls disappeared in search of  the coffee shop, Jack went back to perusing the vinyls ignoring the two guys standing next to him.

"Are you really gonna act like we aren't standing here", Max asked making his way next to Jack.

Jack nodded and pretended to be interested in some vinyl he was holding, hyper-aware that both Bobby and Max were staring at him.

"Of course he's going to ignore us. Its why he doesn't have any friends."

Jack sighed, trying to keep his cool. Bobby was really keen on working his nerves these days. What was with this guy?

 "Look here guys, its not that serious. What are you even mad at each other about? It was a buzzkill last night."

"Kristin is Jack's little fuck toy, even though he is still married to Meg", Bobby announced without hesitation.

Jack's face turned bright red. "Really, should I go and tell Hannah she's the same to you and you really want her best friend? Should I go and do that?!"

Bobby's eyes widened and Jack felt the uneasiness oozing from him now. "You wouldn't. What you and Kristin are doing is not right. I am not that person."

"I would", Jack said. And with that, he walked out of the record store in search of the coffee shop that the girls had went too.

KoJo

The mocha frappe with "whip" as they called it was the best thing she ever drank. Starbucks was her new place to go.

"Mmmm", she moaned as she took another sip of the frozen coffee. 

"So Kristin", Hannah began as they were waiting on Kristin's drink. "We are trying to set up KoJo here with Jack."

KoJo nearly choked on her drink and Kristin's eyes darkened.