Chapter 7 Kristin's Mischief

Just as Jack was taking a long drag of his cigarette, the phone to his shop rang.

Taking the stick from his mouth, he answered the phone with an almost bored "Hello?"

"Hi is this Third Man Upholstery?", a cute, female southern drawl sounded through the phone receiver.

"Sure is" Jack said bluntly.

"Well, I got this cute lil' setee that was my grandmothers, but the dang thing is all rickety and gross but will look so adorable in my bedroom and I just wanted to get the thing re-done ya know sweety?"

Jack hummed into the receiver and said, "Whats your address I'll come take a look?"

The woman gave her address which was in Midtown. Jack finished his cigarette and got into his yellow van. Turning up the music loud, he pulled out of the driveway and started making his way towards midtown.

Midtown was a little ways away so he had some time to think. His mind wandered back to the strange new girl that everyone was so enamoured with now.

"What a beautiful girl "Johnny had drawled to him last night at Gold Dollar. "She's too young, but so smart. Truly one of a kind."

"I love her hair its so bushy and such a pretty color" Meg had said about her that same night everyone had met her.

And Mary had given her the compliment of being "lively and sweet".

Jack wondered how she had gotten everyone to like her so quickly? It was a while before people had even warmed up to him.

Jack did not know how he felt about her mentally, but physically he was DEFINITELY attracted. There were a million girls like her in Detroit, but she was just so....he couldn't describe it. It was unusual that he would be attracted to her, not that he had ever thought of himself having a type....

Jack sighed and silently cursed, realizing he had left his cigarette in the ash tray back at the shop.

It had been a week since he saw her in Willie's and a day hadn't gone by that he hadn't thought about her.

He had tried to put her out of his mind, but it was really hard to.

She wasn't old enough to be with him, but he couldn't help thinking about what it would be like...what she felt like. He felt like such a pervert thinking of her that way.

Luckily for him, it took more than some good looks to get some Jack's attention. He was substance over style, even though style did mean a great deal to him.

But she didn't seem to be too shallow, Jack thought as he pulled up into the driveway of his potential next client.

Great, Jack thought. He was now thinking with his prick and making excuses.

He walked up the steps to the door and rang the doorbell. As he patiently waited for the woman to answer he looked around at the all the potted plants sitting on the front porch.

"Well ain't you a sight for sore eyes?"

Jack turned towards the voice and frowned. "Kristin?"

Kristin burst out laughing. "I can't believe you didn't know it was me?"

"What are you doing here? Where's the lady who was on the phone?"

"Jeez Louise you're a slow one aren't ya?" Kristin said pulling him into the house and closing the door. "I was pretending to be someone else so your cute ass would come over."

"Kristin I'm working what do you want?"

"You, silly" Kristin said coming up to him and giving him a hug.