MDIA [Ch. 31]

Chapter 31

When I pulled into Mr. Wilson's driveway. I noticed the front door open. Although the glass screen was closed, it still made me curious. I grabbed the belongings I'd retrieved from my parent's house and exited my car. When I entered his house, it was quiet.

No lights were on, but the daylight from outside made it bright inside. I went to the guest bedroom and placed my bag on the bed. After returning back to the living room, I scanned the area. I walked into the kitchen and looked there. I spotted his keys on the counter, alongside his jacket.

This made me scrunch my eyebrows. Where is he? I made my way upstairs. The door to his room was open, but no sign of him there. I went back down back downstairs and sighed. I walked outside and onto the front porch. His car is still here, so wherever he went, it was on foot. I sat in the chair occupying the porch and pulled my phone out.

I entertained myself until I heard footsteps walking up the pathway. I looked up from my phone and spotted the man I'd been searching for. He had changed from his earlier clothes and was now wearing a dark grey t-shirt with denim jeans.

As I saw him, he glanced at my car before meeting my stare. "You got your car back, I see," was his greeting to me. I nodded my head. "How long have you been back?" he asked as he stopped on the steps, one feet one step higher than the other.

His stance was casual and calm, as if he had all the time in the world to do whatever he wanted. "Just about fifteen minutes..." I answered, I lingered my voice, leaving the unspoken question in the air.

Where were you?

"I was down the street, talking to Mr. Laden," he explained, catching on quickly. I nodded in understanding. Mr. Laden. I remember meeting him the first official day of me staying here. He was sitting on his porch when I happened to jog pass and started up a conversation with me. Mr. Laden was...entertaining, to say the least.

"How's he doing?"

"Good, same ol', same ol'," Mr. Wilson answered. There was a silence between us. I looked back to my phone, seeing that he wasn't planning on saying anything else. I heard him move up the steps and take the seat next to me. "How'd it go at your house?" he questioned.

I sighed as I remembered the dilemma I'm in. "Well," I began. "My mom gave me my car back, but with a price, of course."

His confusion was evident on his face as he tilted his head and remained silent for me to continue. "She wants me to prove I can have a career in dance," I continued.

"And how are you supposed to do that?"

"I have to find a job that involves dancing," I explained. "So I told her I'd become a stripper."

I had to hide the smile on my face as Jared's face blanked with shock. I covered up my laugh with a cough.

"Are you serious, right now?" he questioned my mind set. I nod my head and look away from him, hiding the enormous smile on my face from his view. "There has to be another route you can take that won't make you belittle yourself," he began. His voice was full of distaste.

And I take that and run from it.

I clear my face of any humor and torn to him, a dead look on my face. "What are you saying? That I won't make a great stripper? That I don't have the body for it?" I say, feigning offense.

He shook his head instantly. "No, that's not what I'm saying. I think you'd be a great stripper. Hell, I've never even seen all of you, but I bet your body is to die for—" he cut himself off, as if regretting he said that last part out loud. "Wait, I lost track," he paused again, trying to get a clear mind, no doubt picturing my naked self now.