Unfold

Author's note: Tenjin needs to shut his trap. Ch 51 spoiler warning.

Yato sighs, glancing up at the variety of blossoms surrounding the area. He should've known it was Tenjin who called him here. It was probably just another job that he wanted Yato to complete. A wish that Yato would only be able to grant. Might as well accept whatever the job was.

The sound of footsteps resonated, as Tenjin approached.

"So you arrived?"

"..Yeah, what do you want? Another job for me to do?"

"Actually, it's not that."

"..Then what did you call me here for?"

"..It's about Hiyori."

"...Hiyori?"

"You love her, don't you?" Tenjin questions, even though the question was unnecessary. He already saw Yato had developed feelings for the brunette; feelings heavily bordering on love, affection.

Yato doesn't respond, he knows Tenjin was up to something with this. He doesn't have to respond, Tenjin already knows. Yato only responds with a frown, what was this about?

"I'm sure we both know. You do love her, and that's only reason to let her go."

"..I knew it. You've wanted me to let her go for the longest time now.."

"It's not safe for her, you know that. What would happen if she was harmed, or even killed?"

Yato opened his mouth, to argue again, but then he couldn't find anything to say in response. Those words affixed in his mind.

"At least think about it, Yato."

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

The words had filled his mind, riddling it with worry. How was this getting to him so much? He had been avoiding Hiyori after that ordeal, it wasn't normal for him. How was he going to go about this?

The raven returns to Kofuku's place in complete silence, not saying a word as he stumbles upstairs. His demeanor threw everyone for a loop, really.

Once he reaches his room, away from everyone else, he immediately slumps against the door, his expressions showing anything but joy, and instead the opposite. He couldn't stop thinking about it. Mayve. Just maybe, she'd be better off if she were to forget entirely about him. About everyone. Sure, Hiyori was the reason he still existed, but if it was better for her sake, then he wouldn't hesitate to sever her ties with him completely.

He manages to crash carelessly on his bed, with a frustrated groan. He curses to himself, as he reminisces the hard time of how she had almost gone across the line that shouldn't be crossed, the path to becoming fully ayakashi. If she had did that, he surely knew there would be no getting her back. It was too close of a call.

He had promised himself to protect her after that, maybe, just maybe he would have a chance to do that entirely by severing her ties. She would be safe.

He was snapped out of her thoughts by the sound of someone knocking on the door.

A voice rings out: "Yato. What's wrong?"

Of course, it'd be her. A worried tone was in her voice. She must be worried about him, really. Why did he have to make her worry?

When he doesn't respond, she cracks open the door, before opening it fully.

"...Yato..?" She questions, closing the door behind her as she enters.

"...I'm fine." He finally mutters in response. Yet, clearly, that wasn't the case.

"I don't know what this is about, but something's wrong..."

He finally sits up to look at her, for a single moment, before looking away.

"It's nothing."

"Yato. Quit lying. Please." She pleads, he was only making her worry more. She steps around to his bedside, sitting directly in front of him. It wouldn't be easy to get her off his case.

"...Fine." He finally gives in, realizing she'd get it out of him eventually anyway.

"What is it?"

He turns towards her, gazing into those magenta eyes with a somber expression.

"Hiyori. We.. We should have never met."

Her eyes widen at those words.

"... No... You're wrong! How could you say that?!" She questions, anger quickly overtaking his features. She couldn't believe he would say such a thing.

"I mean it, Hiyori. You... You don't belong here."

"What are you saying? I.. I do belong here.."

"You don't understand... Hiyori. You're better off without me-"

"Yato. Stop. I want to be with you. Quit saying that. I'm staying here, and that's final..."

"What you want isn't what's best anymore. I can't afford for you to get harmed..."

"I won't..."

"You don't know that! I... I don't want you to get hurt. Even if it means I have to sever our tie-"

"Don't you dare suggest such a thing! What's going on, Yato? Why are you saying this...?"

Tears had began spilling down the Bennett's cheeks. He curses to himself, now he'd made her cry.

"It's... It's because I love you, Hiyori.." Yato admits, soon moving closer, and embracing her tightly. "And I... I should let you go."

She wraps her arms around him, only moments after. Tears stained her cheeks, leaving them damp.

"..You love me enough to let me go.. but I love you enough not to let you..." She finally manages to say. There was no way she'd let him do this.

"I.. I could never let you. I want to stay with you, Yato... no matter how hard it is. I hoped you would have understood that, by now, I am here to stay. Nothing's gonna change that..." She admits, before burying her face into his chest, still sobbing incredibly.

He doesn't say much more, but he knows. There would be no letting her go anytime soon. She sure made sure of that.

"I'm sorry, Hiyori. I'm here, and I always will be.."