Chapter 19

I wake in an unfamiliar place, my eyes blinking rapidly in an attempt to adjust to the sunlight peeking through the curtains. It takes a minute and a nearby sleeping giant to recall the events of last night.

When our ice cream adventure was a bust we settled for shakes and burgers. Luke drove around playing me some of his favorite bands and I finally got to hear him sing - although it was more like shouting lyrics terribly with the volume turned all the way up. So, not exactly what I had anticipated.

After that we somehow ended up at his apartment eating snacks and watching that documentary about mermaids.

It was an entirely different experience watching the documentary with him in person.

Over the phone I don't get to see the way he gets lost in it. His wide eyes set forward completely tuning out everything around him, brows furrowing with every exciting and interesting revelation, and of course a personal favorite - watching his pink lips as he thinks out loud processing the information and sharing his opinion and thoughts on all of it.

He has such a captivating mind. Listening to the things inside of it has always been such an interesting thing - I could listen to him talk for days. And I'm sure he'd be more than happy to comply.

I don't actually know what time we went to bed, just that Luke was out before me. Except he was sitting a lot closer on the couch last time I'd seen him where as now he lies on the far side with a single pillow and throw blanket.

He must've woken up some time in the middle of the night because I could have sworn I was using the smaller throw blanket and not the large warm one now draped over me. His long limbs are curled up in a small ball and I find myself feeling a bit guilty for making him sleep on the couch in his own house.

"Hey," I flop across the large blue couch to poke his nose. He's snoring in a way that should be obnoxiously annoying but is oddly endearing instead. "Luke," I mutter, poking his shoulder this time. He's apparently a heavy sleeper. Another thing added to the ongoing list of things I didn't know about him over the phone.

I sigh, looking over his relaxed features. His long lashes resting peacefully against his freckled cheeks, lips looking more plump and parted in the slightest bit, dark blonde hair a right mess. My lips curl up in a warm smile.

...Then I catch myself and decide to throw a pillow at him.

He jolts awake mid-snore looking around frantically. "Oh, good. You're awake," I hum grinning over at him. He groans, shutting his eyes again and facing away from me. "Lucas," I gape with a giggle. "If you don't wake up I'll just have to wander around and look through everything in your home..." I hum, peeking an eye at him.

He doesn't budge. "Fine...I'm going...where should I start first.." I can't even be bothered to move. Luke grunts, grabbing the pillow I'd hit him with and using it to cover his ear.

"Rude," I gasp at him. "Lu," I all but whine when he continues to ignore me. "I'm awake and bored." He huffs turning around just to steal my blanket. "Hey, now I'm bored and cold," I frown at him. He uses the much larger blanket to cocoon himself; I'm assuming to hide from me.

"You know, you're not the best host," I hum, sitting up and grabbing my phone off a small table next to the couch. "You could at least go to your bedroom so I can watch TV or something." But I don't really mean it. There was something about having him near that was comforting and safe.

I fiddle with my phone for a while, going through and playing on some apps but eventually I do actually start to get bored. I sigh dramatically even though I know he's not listening.