Chapter 20

Today was our final visiting day. Haley was partied out, Sean was having withdrawals without us, and I've just about hit my limit for being home. Haley and I had separate things to finish up on before meeting back out front for our drive home.

Her's was of course a fun shop around with a friend and mine was a book club full of middle-aged women cooing at me about things my mom has told them. Most of which may have been a bit exaggerated in my favor. Haley was smart in cutting straight to the mom day when we first arrived.

But that was just the morning. It was only the beginning to a day my mom couldn't stop going on about.

She drags me to the store and raves about all the cooking and planting and a bit of light repainting I could help her with before I go. She even suggests we stop at the mall to get some pictures taken so we can slap them on a Christmas card this year - even if last Christmas was just a few months ago.

Luckily I was able to talk her out of that one. But I wasn't able to talk her out of sharing very intimate information about her new love life. Which I never want to relive again.

As we're pulling up to our house a figure catches my eye. My eyes go wide and I immediately duck down. "Keep driving," I rush to my mom. "What?" But I don't have enough time to explain when she's pulling into our driveway.

I sigh, trying to quickly think up some excuses and an explanation for my mom on who the very tall boy standing outside our home was.

"Who's that?" My mom mutters, shutting off the engine with a sly grin. "A friend," I reply coolly. "He's cute," she gushes, getting out of the car before I can give her a behavior warning. I brace myself, stepping out of the car to hear her introduce herself as my mother.

Luke shakes her hand with a smile and tells her his name. "I knew Penelope was meeting with friends a lot but I didn't know they were this charming," my mom hums embarrassingly. "Oh, I don't know about charming," Luke chuckles.

Luke's not great with compliments. He says he's always been quite awkward and compliments bring that out in him since he never knows what to say to them. So he gets a bit bashful a lot of the time. His cheeks getting a nice rosy tint, his hands shoving in his pockets and his small unsure smile taking over his features. He hates it but I think it's adorable.

Not that I'd ever tell him that.

"Um, mom, didn't you say you had to set the oven or something?" I turn to her in hopes that she'll get the hint. It takes her a second but she catches on. "Oh! Yes. The oven. I'll just be inside, bring the bags on your way in?" She says to me which I nod. "It was nice meeting you," she smiles at Luke.

"And you're more than welcome to stay for lunch." Luke smiles bright, I wonder how many interviews it took him to perfect that smile. "Thank you, but I actually have plans for lunch. It was so nice meeting you too, P talks about you all the time." I furrow my brows at him.

"All good things I hope," my mom chirps with a giggle. "Of course," I smile with a nod, Luke biting back a giggle as I gesture her away. I've only ever really complained about her to him - aside from the nice childhood stories.

"What are you doing here?" I turn to him when she's gone inside. "Wait, actually. How do you even know where I live?" "Haley," he shrugs as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Which maybe it sort of was. I shake my head. "What do you want?"

His eyebrows knit together and he frowns. "I knew you were mad at me." "Why would I be mad at you?" I huff, walking back to the car to retrieve the shopping bags. "I don't know, that's what I came here to find out," he states, following close behind me. "That's a bit weird don't you think," I mutter shutting the car door.