Chapter 31

"What do you think of getting a dog?" I hum, looking at Haley over the screen of my laptop. "Why do I want a dog?" Her eyebrows furrow as she takes a sip of her coffee. "Okay, let me rephrase that. What do you think of me getting a dog?" I chuckle. "Why do you want a dog?" She shrugs. "I've always wanted a dog," I reply simply. "Then get a dog," she says in an obvious tone.

"You and Sean wont mind?" I clarify. "Why should we? As long as you're the one feeding it and it doesn't use our apartment as a toilet I don't see how it could be a problem," she replies, typing away on her computer. I nod in acknowledgment and leave her to finish whatever it is she is doing.

P: Think im going dog shopping soon, will keep you updated on the search for taco! ☺️

I type in dog breeds on my own computer and see the thousand plus results pop up. I go website to website reading about breeds and their behaviors until I realize how absolutely stressful dog buying is.

There's so many and not just small or big. There's medium and extra large and eating habits and grooming and it's no wonder my mom never wanted to get me one.

Deciding on taking a break from my dog research I take a breath and take in my surroundings, letting my ears focus back in on the conversations I'd tuned out going on around me.

The coffee shop is full today, just as its been for a few days now. Maybe it has something to do with the sudden cold weather or maybe people have just finally found my hidden coffee shop.

Most of the costumers are younger teenage girls giggling in groups and staring at the front counter so maybe it might actually have something to do with the new cute barista they hired. His name is Derek and Haley has, oddly enough, not tried hitting on him once.

In fact, she merely acknowledged his good looks and that was only after I'd mentioned it. I'm not sure if I should be worried or proud.

"What's up with you?" I think out loud with a crease between my brows. "What?" Haley offers a look of puzzlement. "It's been a week and you still haven't tried hooking up with the new guy...unless you already did?" I joke. "What? No. Never. I mean. Not him. No. I wouldn't..." she sighs. "He's not my, erm, type." I draw back. "I was kidding but since when do you have a type?"

Her eyes dart to the screen in front of her and she swallows thickly. "I don't. I just, I don't know. I don't like him that's all," she shrugs. "Haley, I've known you since we were in diapers. What are you not telling me?" I frown.

"Nothing. Who says I have something to tell? I don't," she scuffs breathily. I fix her with a stern look. As if I wasn't going to see past her blatant lie. "What are you hiding?"

"I'm not hid...ing anything....um, El, have you been on social media today...?" Haley trails off steering our conversation in a different direction. "No. And nice try. I'm not dropping this until you tell me what you're keeping from me," my frown deepens. "Has Luke texted today by any chance?" She ignores my words, glancing up at me.

"Not since earlier, why? Did something happen? Is he alright?" I feel my heart go into overdrive immediately thinking the worst.

"Oh he's more than alright," she mutters with a raise of her eyebrows. My curiosity getting the best of me I hop down from my stool and round the table to her side.

There's a string of endless posts showing the same extremely private photo of Luke and his girlfriend. It's like a punch to the gut. I've seen them together obviously but the night I spent with them, Luke wasn't very big on the PDA with her. Only maybe one or two small kisses so this was a shock to the system.

"I don't think he knows it's on here," Haley states, her eyes reading through the posts. I gulp down and try to keep my breathing steady. "Yeah, he must not," I try for cool calm and collected. Haley doesn't push it so I must come across more convincingly than I was currently feeling. I can only stand to be there a second longer.