Chapter 22

"So, I heard you had a date today," Luke breathes into the phone. I bite my lip, my smile from his previous joke fading. My brain short circuits. It was a small date with the boy from the bookstore. Nothing to tell. At least not to Luke.

Why? That, I didn't have an answer for.

It's not like I didn't try to mention it to him during the week but it never felt like the right time and I doubt he would have wanted to hear me rave on about my date anyway. It's just not something we'd usually do. How he found out, now that I had an inkling about.

"Oh yeah? And where did you hear that?" I hum. "I have my sources," he singsongs. "Was it Sean?" I mutter. "Mm not really." "Not really? What does that mean?" I ask, already plotting my retaliation on my roommate. "It was on his snapchat story, you don't get to tell me I'm messy anymore because you're just as bad," he says matter-of-fact.

I pull the phone from my ear and go to Sean's snapchat story. I click past all his snaps till I get to one he must have taken while I was getting ready.

It's a video of Sean saying, 'when your roommates a mess' with all of my pre-date things laid out and scattered around my room and bathroom. The one after that is a candid photo of me doing my hair in the bathroom looking terrible in nothing but Luke's shirt that I'm actually guilty of living in. The caption says 'jk pre-date prep'.

"Okay but did you even bother looking at the snap after the mess?" I reply. "I did," Luke says with a little something laced in his tone. "So then you know that it's not like my room usually looks like that." "I wouldn't know but I do know that you're still parading around in my stolen shirt," he says lightly. I can practically hear his grin.

I flush at being caught. "Whatever. The point is, it was just pre-date mess." "Pre-date mess?" Luke muses. "Yes. So it doesn't count."

"I think it does," he says, I'm sure just for the sake of disagreeing with me. "Well no one asked you," I hum. "I asked myself," he retorts. "You asked yourself?" I bite back a laugh. "Yes. I did," he says biting back a laugh of his own. "Okay Lucas," I chuckle.

"So what's his name?" He asks after a minute. He goes for nonchalant but there's too much in his tone to be simply that. I gnaw at my bottom lip taking a second to think over how much I'm willing to share with him.

"...Nick." "Jonas? I love that guy," he immediately cracks a joke. I roll my eyes. "You and your Nick Jonas. It's all about Joe. Everyone knows that," I reply. "Are you telling me you went on a date with Joe Jonas?" "I'm telling you if I did you wouldn't hear from me for at least a solid two weeks."

"That's disgusting! I don't need to hear your weird sex fantasies about Joe Jonas, P!" Luke squeals into the phone. "It's your fault, you brought him up," I shrug. "I said Nick Jonas," he emphasizes. "Still brought Jonas up," I mutter. We stay quiet for a second.

"So where did you go? What does he do? Did he pay?" Luke rambles on with questions. "We don't have to do this," I yawn, taking a sip of my now cold coffee. "Do what?" He asks.

"You know. The whole after date details and what not. I'm sure your day has been way more eventful and interesting than my date," I get up to reheat my coffee and search for snacks. "Not really. Tell me about your date, I want to hear it," he promises.

"Okay, it was nice," I nod. "Nice?" Luke huffs. "Well. I don't know, what do you want to hear? He's gorgeous and sweet and paid and we really hit it off?" I groan. There's a moment of silence.

"See. You don't care. It's fine. We can talk about something else, have you seen that Sea World documentary on Netflix?" "N-no. I said we can talk about your date, so let's talk about your date. Are you guys going on a second date?" Luke's voice clearly holding something back. But I go with it anyways.