Chapter 25

I walk into the room just as Luke's getting out of his sweat covered shirt. His backs to me so he's still as oblivious as ever - and no I wasn't dragging my eyes down the length of his broad back. Michael is the first to notice me, immediately breaking into a wild grin.

Once Luke's fresh top is over his head he sees Michael's crazy grin. "What?" He asks cautiously. Michael shakes his head but his gray eyes are dancing.

I don't know what I should say but now feels like the right time to say it.

Of course Luke manages to walk around the room packing his things and fiddling with his phone while somehow missing my presence. I just kind of stand there like an idiot watching him move while each of the other boys share encouraging looks.

However, I was out of my league here. I've never surprised a friend on tour. I've never even had a friend on tour. I don't know what the proper way to go about this is.

He didn't even want me here for christ's sake.

I start to chicken out. Holding one finger up to the three boys on the edge of their seats, I start to slowly back away. If I leave quick and quiet he'll never have to know I was here. I could meet them at the hotel or not meet them at all. I'm not really sure what my plan is but I just need to get out of here before he sees.

"Penelope? What are you doing here?" Michael shouts right when I'm almost in the clear. I suck in a breath, my heart stopping and my eyes bulging out of their sockets. What's that saying? If you're as still as a statue maybe they wont see you? "Ha ha," Luke grumbles.

Oh my god.

Don't move.

"No, really. Look," Calum points in my direction and I'm positive I'm going to vomit. Luke shakes his. "I'm not falling for that again."

I feel my cheeks heat with a blush at his embarrassing revelation and stifle a giggle.

"We're not lying this time. Turn around!" Michael huffs. The security guy that walked me in is giving me a funny look now. He's probably wondering who the hell I was and why the hell I wasn't confirming or denying what they were telling him.

"I'm not stupid. You guys got me once, you're not going to get me again," Luke says stern, crossing his legs on the black leather couch. I can feel the build up of words as they make their way through my body.

"Oh c'mon Lu, don't be such a buzz kill," I finally burst. The security man's eyes quickly dart over to Luke on the couch. He watches just as close as me, the both of us waiting for Luke's reaction. I was hoping for excitement but the way the security guard looked like he practically needed some popcorn told me he probably wasn't pulling for me.

Luke's head whips around and he nearly knocks over a glass bottle stumbling over his own two feet to get to me.

"P-p, w-what uh, w-what are you doing here?" He drops a hand on his hip and scratches the back of his head with the other. "Thought I'd surprise you," I smile wide and hopeful. "You definitely surprised me," he breathes with an awkward chuckle. My smile falters.

"Should I not have come? I told them you wouldn't want me to. This is their fault. Didn't I tell you guys he wouldn't want this?" I ramble, poking my head over his shoulder to direct the last bit at his bandmates.

"Luke's freaking out, that's 20 bucks for me!" Ashton announces with a giggle. "Who's freaking out? I'm not freaking out," Luke shrugs tensely. "Stop making bets on us!" I frown at the three boys chattering amongst themselves.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come. You told me you didn't want me here and I didn't listen, I'll go," I finish the little space that I had left out of the room. "P's leaving! That still counts!" Michael shouts. I hear Luke bark out, "Shut up. And don't call her that."