Chapter 16: Temporary

*Happy Birthday dedication!!!*

For being good little fannies. ;)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

          "Faith Williams." Death kicked back on the coffee table, laughing drunkenly as if my name was the funniest thing in the world. He then sat up, eyes unfocused, and waggled a finger at me. "You're supposed to be asleep, missy. Bad. You're still not being a good little reaper like you're supposed to be. Such a bad girl, ease dropping on your Master. Bad reaper. Bad Faith."

            I thought back to Tiara giggling, Death caressing her lingerie, and prayed that my eyes weren't too puffy from crying. God, I was so pathetic. "It was kind of hard not to with all of the...noise," I said dully, "if I didn't know any better, I would say that you wanted me to ease drop. Everything you do is for a reason, isn't it?"

            Death stared at me in a dull way for the longest time, scrunching his eyebrows as if he was really trying to think, then broke into another grin. "Faith Williams!" Death made a raspberry sound with his mouth before barking out laughter. "God, who names their kid Faith? Oh, man....what a ridiculously cliché Catholic name. Faith! Williams! Oh, it hurts. It h-h-hurts!"  

            "I don't even know what to say right now." I stood at the peripheral edge of the room, watching Death as a scared tourist watches a wild animal through a thick wall of glass. Death lazily lounge back on the couch, unfolded his long tongue from his mouth and lapped at the few remaining drops of his liquor.

            "Prove it," he said, tapping at the end of the empty bottle as if a rush of liquid would come out, "cupcake. And pin me down, while you're at it."

            "No, not when you're this drunk." I started towards the coffee table, picking up the scattered empty bottles of liquor and clutching as many as I could in my hands. I stacked them up in the kitchen, coming back into the room to pluck the last bottle from Death's fingers, when he yanked the bottle back, smirking at me.

            "Too slow, cupcake," Death slurred throatily, lazily shifting on the couch so that he lay horizontally, his one leg curled around the back of the couch and his shirt rolling up, revealing the partial V down his hips. "You're going to have to be faster than that."

            When I frustratingly tried to grab at the bottle again, Death's arm teasingly flinched backwards out of my reach, and his shirt rode up even higher, revealing the trail of dark hair around his navel that darted down into his pants....into...into. . . .

            The danger zone. I looked back up at the ceiling, internally slapping myself. But still, my thoughts were wicked and instantly came to conclusions. Good god, isn't even wearing underwear. I shook my head from that unnecessary thought, squeezing my eyes shut and clutching the bridge of my nose between my finger tips. Why was I thinking that after he was clearly just humping Tiara like a horny dog?

            He's ruining you.

            "DEATH!" I shrieked, throwing out my hand towards him, "just give me the stupid bottle!"

            Suddenly, Death shrunk back and sunk deeper into the couch, looking up at me with big, wide eyes. After a moment of us staring at each other, Death miraculously sobered up and handed me the bottle, his eyes never leaving mine.

            There was a flash of sadness in his eyes that I forced myself to look away from. I wouldn't be reeled in again, hurt again by those stupid green eyes. I was ashamed that I had stayed and watched Death and Tiara touch one another. That being said, there was something about being alone right at that moment that didn't settle right in my gut.