Chapter 29|Wheelchairs are the shit

I was having a good dream. Why did I have to be woken up? That's a very good question. Why was I being woken up at twelve in the morning?

A knock at my bedroom door. No, not the one that normal people use. The French doors on my balcony. Now who would that be I wonder? Why I
didn't just leave that door unlocked permanently, is beyond my brain capacity.

I didn't bother switching the light on as I stumbled out of bed, fiddling with the lock on the door. In hind sight, light probably would have been helpful, but light bulb moments don't usually happen for me when it's still dark outside. I yawned as I finally heard that satisfying click sound, indicating that the door was unlocked. Ryan was standing outside in his boxers.

I rubbed my eyes. "What're you doing here?"

He stepped inside, closing the door behind him. "I wanted to be the first person to wish you a happy birthday," he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Cute," I commented, yawning again as I grabbed his hand, pulling him towards my bed.

He chuckled. "Eager are we?"

I smacked his bare shoulder. "Be nice to me, it's my birthday. Now cuddle me."

He laughed, pulling the covers over us. "So bossy."

I grunted, tucking my head under his chin. "Whatever."

I sighed against his skin. "You're a good birthday present." He probably didn't even hear that, I didn't mind either way.

~*~*~*~

I was woken up by a knock in the door. I frowned to myself. What is this? Deja vu? This person must've been normal because they were using the normal person door, not the balcony one.

"Hazel, wake up, its your birthday."

I smiled, my dad. Bless his heart. Then I realised something. There was a boy in my bed.

I shook his shoulders to try and wake him up, but that proved just as ineffective as the other times I'd tried that. There was only one other thing I could thing of that might get a reaction out of him.

"Hazel? Can we come in?"

We? Oh god, Jasmine's there too.

"Uh, just a minute," I called.

"This better work," I muttered to myself. I felt so mean for doing this to him, but it was a necessary course of action.

I reached my mouth as close to his ear as I could. "Spider!" I whisper shouted as loud as I could without dad hearing it.

His eyes immediately flew open, and he retracted his arms from around me. He was going to yell so I quickly covered his mouth with my hand. I couldn't believe that actually worked.

"My dad's outside the door," I whispered, filling him in.

"So there's no spider?"

"Uh no, sorry about that. But my dad will be scarier than a spider if you don't disappear."

My eyes nearly popped out of my head as I saw the door handle move. I shoved Ryan.

"Go, now!" I hissed.

He got the hint, running and diving for my closet. The closet door closed, just as the other door opened. Good save.

My dad looked at me suspiciously, then at the wrinkled sheets on the other side of the bed. I smiled sheepishly. Surely he hadn't put two and two together.

Jasmine rushed past him, pouncing on me. "Happy birthday!" She yelled in my ear.

"Thanks," I replied dryly, shielding my ears with my hands for a moment to let them recover from their recent trauma.