Chapter 7: A DAMSEL IN TRAINING

'Again,' Legolas scolded the fifth time. 'I told you hold it properly, relax your bow arm. Breathe.'

'I am!'

'Then I wonder why you haven't hit the target.'

The target was nearly ten yards away and my lucky arrow hasn't landed on it yet. The courtyard was wide, a training ground for Elven guards. Young Elves were doing the same, some were practicing with spears and swords, some with knives and staff.

Legolas stood behind me, impatient and irritated as always. We've been doing this for hours. Aramis and Rod watched on a bench under the shade of a tree amused. I struggled to pull the string with my right hand. A little longer and my fingers would bleed. My right leg hurt, my body tired. I thought archery was an easy thing, no wonder why I haven't killed a soul for years. 'This is ridiculous,' I murmured.

'I heard that,' arching his brow. 'Left foot forward, stand strong, holding a bow properly is no easy task.'

'Stand strong like a mountain...hold that string as if you are holding the tail of a tiger!' Gimli shouted.

'You're doing well, Safirah. Keep it up.' Aramis flashed a smiled.

Legolas picked up his bow and stood beside me, showing me how it is supposed to be done. His eyes were focused on the target, his pointy ears twitched a bit. I admired his perfectly angled face, his thick brows and his masculine form. I've noticed it before but I didn't thought he was more beautiful up close. He released the arrow and it landed on the spot. 'And that's how you should hit your enemy,' he said.

'The target is too far, maybe we could move a little bit near, a fair distance for a beginner.'

'That is the fair distance for beginners.' And his lips curved down.

'Her arms aren't strong enough yet,' Aramis stood and came smiling. 'Perhaps this girl needs a lift.' He stood behind me, his body touching my back. I gave him the sword thinking he's going to teach me with blades but he took and put the blade aside. He helped me raise my bow and steadied my string hand, his hand was warm, rough but gentle. I could feel his breath on my scalp, I've never been this close with anyone before. The strange feeling made me weak, suddenly the bow seemed heavier. 'When you aim, let the arrow be part of you,' he whispered, 'the bow is your arm, feel the wind, the distance, the force.'

I stood straight following his instructions

I stood straight following his instructions. My heart was pounding. I had to learn it, learn from a marksman. Every breath was heavy, his hands over mine. He pulled, waited and we both released the arrow. It landed on the spot and my spirit lifted with joy. For the first time, I hit the target.

'See? I told you.'

I turned to him happily but he walked back to Rod's side. I wanted to ask him if he could teach me more, but I noticed Legolas was not as happy as I am.