[ 14.2 ]

We flew towards the Misty Mountains, to the tall and treacherous mountains of Moria. Miraak brought me to the ruins of the once great kingdom in the midst of freezing wind, where the ancient dwarves have carved a stairway up to the clouds. Wind howled, loud and strong. Miraak dove and finally perched on a hanging rock --- a ruined tower sitting atop the jagged mountain, one massive pillar remained standing twenty feet tall. I slid down as cautious as I can, looking about and scanning any kinds of danger until I came to a huge crack in the rock-wall and squeezed myself in. Later did I find there was a hollow twenty feet above --- huge enough for a dragon to slip through.

It was gray and moist inside, Miraak thudded from above and lighted the space with its fire. There scattered on the floor, gold and silvers and bronze. I couldn't believe my eyes, there were so much precious stones than I could carry. ' I thought black dragons aren't attracted to gold? I should not be hasty to judge,' I blurted to the dragon.

'There is more than gold in this ruins, Sah...fih...rah. Lightning, where there are flashes of light, comes fires,' the dragon scoffed.

I saw this place before, on our way to Rivendell. I never suspected a dragon hiding beneath the hanging rocks. I picked up a few gold coins and we set off ---  was no reason to linger longer, besides, I donot wish of dead dwarf-spirits collecting stolen gold in my dreams. I made for Dale, where nobody would recognize me except for one, Aramis. I doubt that he would be hawking down the canals anyway.

We flew fast, high above the clouds to avoid unwanted attention. We head East of Mirkwood, glided and swooshed above the woodland and marshes and climbed up when we came near where people could be living. Esgaroth upon the long lake, it was never difficult to spot, for where the Lonely Mountains stand, their lies the Kingdom of Dale and Lake-town below it.

Miraak finally dropped me off near a river and it flew back into hiding. I am on my own now. It was about midday and the sun blazed orange behind thin shifting clouds. I snaked through the forest and to the riverbank. There, a small group of men lived by the riverside, fishermen and hunters. Not far from the houses, a ferry docked at the quay laden with barrels and townsmen. There bent a man untying the ropes from the wooden posts, reading the ferry to sail.

 There bent a man untying the ropes from the wooden posts, reading the ferry to sail

'Wait! I cried. 'Wait for me, Mister,' I ran waving my hands to catch his attention. I trotted frantically. 'Wait...'

A man signalled the others to a halt and wind  seemed to have heard my please, the ferry didn't move . At last, I hopped onto the boat almost fell but a man caught my hand. 'Do you have coins, girl?' the ferryman asked when I'm aboard. He was an old man, tall and slim, weary-faced, brown haired and his clothes were dull brown and dampen.