[ 1.3 ]

...
Father cleared his throat gesturing that they may come in. Dropping his eyes he said, 'Come! The evening is splendid!'

'Splendid evening, indeed! Or shall I say we have a splendid evening, whatever splendid this evening has offered us, I thank you. Apologies for our rather untimely and unexpected visit, this cannot be the best time I suppose,' the old man smiled back at him taking his pointy hat off and stepped in.

Two others followed him, a man on his leather armour, a long sword hanging on his side, and a tall he-elf, silver-haired on a forest green and silver fabric, brown leather boots with a long bow and a quiver on his back. 'I hope you won't mind my company,' he added in a tone that says father couldn't have had a choice.

Father gazed at the two strangers for a moment, I could see his eyes filled with hesitation but then he gestured and welcomed them with a warm smile and a slight nod.

I stood at once, wondering what to do. Should I offer them food or a drink the least? I cared less to pry at our guests and upon noticing father's frowning face, I dove back to my chair.

I felt a sudden urge to walk away, I was about to run to the kitchen when the old man said, 'Thank you my dear but don't bother about the food, we are not very hungry. Well...I believe we've come to the right house, Mr. Barrens?' the old man looked about thinking.

'Yes, you have!?' father said. 'In what honor do I have this visit?'

But the old man ignored his question and sauntered across the room, curiously looking about; his staff thudding on the wooden floor.

'Strange, I find your last name quite contradictory to what I am seeing inside this humble home of yours,' his jape didn't do well to make father laugh or smile the least. His two companions gathered behind him. 'At last! I won't waste time babbling nonsense...eh, we've come this far to seek someone. A raven.'

'A raven?' father was baffled, he almost simpered at his rather serious remarks. 'This is no birdhouse. You must be lost, Mister.'

Father turned and threw me a glance that says I should have left for room, without a word I darted away.

I knew the old man followed my steps, I could sense it. My ears have grown accustomed to quietude that even unspoken words are loud enough for me to hear.

This old man is a wizard, I know it! I might have heard of him long time ago, but my memory isn't as adept as my sense of hearing. Inside my room I gently closed the door behind me, frustrated that I wasn't allowed to stay.

I sat, knees bent with my arms stretched to the side of my bed. What should I do now? I'm dying to know why a wizard would come visit us. Have I done something wrong? Have I been reckless?

My heart quickened as I recalled where I have been for the past few days. To Bree, down the river in the Hills, nothing far if my memory serves me right. Three days ago father and I went to see Mr. Heatherfoot in Archet but I have not spoken to anyone that day, nor did I go jumped out of the carriage to pry when father was not looking.

Suddenly, a soft moving bundle of furr came looking to be fondled, Monti, my black molly, a little bundle of joy. Ah yes, indeed, this little beast should do the trick, it will do well to be my ears. My heard drummed faster with the thought, I always get the same feeling every time I enter into else's mind.

I laid comfortably, scooped a deep breath to ready myself. With eyes on the ceiling, my vision blurred, twisted color of blinding lights, darkness and light, wisp noises, whispers filled the unbeknown realm, darkness swallowed me like a moonless night without glimpes of few stars above.