[ 32.2 ]

The night was deep when the dragon finally dropped me near the greenwood forest. I trotted to the West gate and the guards immediately escorted me inside. The halls smelled a little different since I've left, dull and earthly, the Elves must be mourning still. Guards scattered around, some were heading out the gates to patrol the night.

A few were curious enough to turn their heads on me as I walked towards the throne hall.  No Armien came or any of the girls. It was the first thing I hoped but they too, might be afraid of me. Everyone knows the story, like a legend hopping from one mouth to another.

Minutes later, we past by the bridge. I saw King Thranduil waiting, sitting with legs crossed and hands resting on the armrests of his throne. Near him stood a tall Elf with hair brighter than his, Legolas. I know his posture too well. The guards left when I was about to climb the stairs towards the King and his son. Legolas quickly motioned, his eyes rounded upon seeing my horrible look. Still on my iron armour, tousled hair and the cut on my cheek was still fresh.

'Safirah!?'

I deliberately ignored his hand and walked straight in front of the king. Legolas' glance and touch made my heart flutter once, now it doesn't even bother me the slightest. I walked past by him and stood looking up the king with a heavy heart.

The king flashed a timid smile.

'You are excused my son,' he spoke.

'Should I mustn't know what you are about the discuss with the girl, father? If there is someone who needs to know the plan, it would be me.'

'We have been discussing it for the past two days, a short meeting will not change it even a little. Besides, there is nothing the vaurg can tell you.' King Thranduil stood and climbed down his throne with grace, hands tucked behind his back. 'Go now.'

'But sh---'

'Legolas, please...' I dared to say looking sideways.

There was nothing he could do or could've have said to change his father's mind. And though his eyes darkened in defeat he turned to the king and bowed. He motioned to leave but before he got past by me, he paused without turning his head.

Nor did I.

I have so much to tell him but I decided to compose myself and pretended I was fine. He then looked at me for a second, took a deep breath and off he went.

Alone with the King, I tried to keep my mouth shut for a moment. Too angry to talk, I might spark up an argument I know I couldn't win. Who would win an argument with King Thranduil? Legolas was the only one who could make him concede. For a moment, he stared at me head 'till feet as if it was his first time seeing a vaurg or perhaps it was the dirt that restrained him?

Finally, I lost my patience and decided to break the silence.

'Thank you,' I started in a rather calm voice. Of all things I wanted to say those two words were the hardest. Should I really be thanking him for what he did that day? He saved my life, I thought, though he's the reason why I grew up without seeing my parents.

'I know what you're thinking, Safirah,' he circled around me. 'I have lived long enough to understand the look in your eyes, tell me, do you feel it?'

'Feel what?'

'Elf blood flowing in your veins. I knew there was something strange in you the moment you stepped inside my halls, you were quite tall for a woman, I remember noting on the first day you appeared to me, having skin remarkably similar to my kind and a scent I very well know. Though your scent is much like that of a human, sometimes you do smell like an Elf,' he smiled pausing in front of me.