[ 12.2 ]

I snapped back to my senses and gathered myself. The beast held the man in its talons, then he carefully laid him in front of me.

'Y--You talk!' I murmured.

'You can read my mind.' The beast put off its flames and turned to me. "This man is not dead, courage left him, such a weak soul.'

'You...you are a dragon...I couldn't believe it.' My leaping out my chest, my back leaned back against the wall.

'Cannot you feel it when one is near?'

Yes, I felt him indeed, the feeling was unfamiliar to me and that explains the queerness. I thought dragons are dark beings, savage, merciless beasts that spit death itself. Then why do I feel different? This dragon is hurt, alone, exiled. I slowly moved towards the beast, extending my hands to touch it. It is blind, he wouldn't see my hands coming, I thought. Suddenly, my fear faded into pity.

'Everything I know about you is wrong. And here you are, a few steps away from my touch. I could feel your pain. Someone has taken your sight, one mighty beast. What is that you want?' I whispered.

The dragon moved its head away, hesitant, it sniffed and smoke came out of its scaled snout. I stepped closer and closer, fear all gone.

'Repentance.' The voice echoed in my head again, filled with remorse and guilt. 'I have burned cities and devoured thousands of souls, I tormented thousands more. I am with no mercy. But blindness made me see things I did not see before,' its last words were filled with hope.

I felt its heart, beating wearily beneath its thick black scales.

My palm was just an inch away from its skin. Too close that I could feel the heat surfacing from its scales. I paused thinking if it was right to touch the beast. Dragons are strong-willed creatures, I do not intend to bend it. This was exactly what I must be doing, but I am not a thief. This is a beautiful creature, a deadly fire breathing beast, but no less worthy of respect. I must accept my failure...I will never make it to the North.

Not a chance.

I slowly withdrew my hands when suddenly, the beast moved its head allowing my palms to touch its scales. I flinched. I must resist, I thought, but my heart felt differently. I closed my eyes and feel its energy. My hands had a burning sensation, so painful that I wanted to break away --- I didn't. Instead, I imagined the feelings deep inside the beast, the pain in its heart, the wounds in its soul. Slowly, the heat died away until there was nothing left. The feeling was overwhelming, my touch created a magical string into its soul. I gasped.

A ray of sunlight captured me. When I opened my eyes to see, a colorful ray of light appeared and illuminated the cave revealing the beast before my eyes. A huge beast, with scales as black as my hair, twisted horns, three on each side and two long ones. My heart jumped with wonder. 'A dragon...a huge black fire breathing dragon,' I murmured.

'I offer you my help. All will feel the ire of winter soon, all will suffer in the flood of fire. Be my sight and I will be your strength. Let me repay my debts as you save your kind.' It said its words with dignity and pride.

I thought of what the old man said, I am a giant with a gentle heart. How could I ever be a warrior they all want me to be? 'I am no warrior. Even if you offer your form, I cannot possibly be a dragon everybody fears. It is hopeless.'