7 - The First of Many

I woke up from the incessant ringing of my cellphone and land line phone.

How Franco managed to make both phone lines ring was beyond me.

I chose to answer the cellphone since that is where his handsome face was flashing on the screen.

"Yeah? So early. . ."

"Wake up sleepy head! It's five am! Get up and get ready! We have a long day today."

"Aaaarrggghhh! Five am?! Really? Do you realize that all people are still asleep at five am!"

"Do you want me to remind you and sing happy birthday again? Come on get up. I have the entire day planned."

"Fine!"

I tried to sleep again but I forgot he was still on the line. And he blew some kind of horn. The one used during new year.

"Alright alright! Im getting up! Geez! So annoying!"

I was just whispering but I guess he heard since he was laughing at the other end of the line.

"I'll call you in an hour when I'm already at the bus stop. I changed my mind, you can bring your guards and driver with you. I don't want you to get into trouble on your birthday."

"Owwkaaay. . ." I was yawning when I answered him.

"You're too cute for your own good. Now go shower birthday girl!"

"Yaah."

At exactly six am we arrived at the bus stop. It was just four blocks away from our house and we found Franco waiting with two huge baskets and a large backpack.

I wonder what's on those.

I got off the car to greet him but he just ignored me and whispered something to the driver and to the bodyguard. Since it was my birthday, they allowed me to bring only one guard today.

When he finally turned to me, he hugged me tightly and kissed my forehead.

"Happy Birthday Saphira!"

I felt lightheaded from his gesture but I just tried to ignore it. I guess I was short on sleep.

"Thank you."

"Come on get in."

He reopened the backseat of the SUV we were using and assisted me to get inside before getting in himself.

One thing I always admire about Franco is his chivalry. He is the perfect gentleman.

"What's wrong? Why are you looking at me weirdly?"

"No I'm not! I'm just wondering where we are going at six am?"

"So impatient! Just wait and see."

We travelled for almost thirty minutes before reaching an old park. I can't read the signs as it was all worn out.

The car parked and Franco got off. He took all the things he brought and led me out of the car.

"It will just be a short walk."

I tried to help him with the bags and baskets but he wouldn't budge.

"I can do this. You are my guest and I will make everything special. How can I make this day special if I'll let you carry the surprise."

"Such a drama queen for a handsome guy."

"I heard that and yes, I am handsome. Thank you. Come on m'lady please follow me."

He actually winked when he said that. I just smiled and followed him."

The walk in the park was actually calming and serene. There were a lot of trees and flourished green grass. It was nice to be with nature. I was happy but nothing could have prepared me for what he had in store.

We reached a small clearing hidden by long vines. There seem to be a hidden passageway that can be easily overlooked if you were just walking by.

He told me to wait for a while. I did not argue since I was really enjoying looking at the surroundings. It was really beautiful.

He went inside and after five minutes, he came back out with a blindfold.

"Do you trust me?"

"Of course."

"Close your eyes. No peeking."

He tied the blindfold gently and then led me inside the vines.

I heard water trickling and some birds chirping. The smell of flowers turned up my excitement into a notch.

Franco made me sit on something soft and silky.

I think I may have heard him gasp when I reached for him when he was leading me to sit down.

He took the blindfold off but still covering his hands on my eyes, he whispered to me.

"Open your eyes my princess."

I blinked twice and tried to adjust my eyes to the sudden brightness. What I saw was overwhelmingly beautiful.

There was a small man made lagoon with a small water falls. There were flowers everywhere. The splash of colors from the flowers dazzled me. Green, red, yellow, orange, blue, purple. I have never seen a place like this before. It looks so magical and enchanting.

"Do you like my first surprise?"

"Like it? I love it!"

I guess I caught him by surprise when I launched myself and hugged him. He lost his balance and I just realized I am on top of him, looking at his gorgeous green eyes.

I think my heart may have jumped out of my chest but I managed to catch it and bring it right back inside.

I got off him and pretended that nothing happened.

"Saphira. . .I. . ."

I looked at him sweetly.

"Thank you for this surprise! I love it."

He sighed then showed me his second surprise.

He removed the cover of the baskets that he set up on our soft and silky picnic blanket.

"Wow! All this food?!! These are all my favorites! I don't remember telling you all this. All you know is that I loved burger but the rest of the food here? Amazing!"

"I told you I did my research. Now, come back here and sit down so we may have our breakfast."

We were eating happily chatting about random stuff.

"Who made all these? Everything was delicious!"

"Ahem! Me of course!"

"No way! How did you manage to cook all these? You even baked my favorite Danish and pastries and made eggs benedict! Even the ceasar salad was divine!"

Excitement and appreciation flowed out of my mouth in waves. I saw him blush and I just found it cute that he will blush from all my complements.

"You're blushing!"

"Im not!"

"Look at your ears they're all red!"

"Franco is blushing. Franco is blushing. . . hey hey hahahaha. Stop! Hahahaha ill stop please stoop. . ."

He was tickling me at my sides and I was laughing so hard my eyes started to water from excessive laughter.

When he stopped, I relaxed and stretched my legs and lied down. Looking up the majestic blue skies with white puffy clouds.

Franco did the same thing. He took my hands and everything were peaceful. Without any words, we know that this day will be perfect. We closed our eyes and unknowingly drifted to sleep.