10 - Hope

Franco waited until the river of tears where all the pain and frustrations I was feeling dried up.

"Are you feeling better now? I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to make fun of you. I am just . . ."

"I'm fine now. It's not your fault. I'm just over sensitive I guess."

"Saphira, I hope you know that you don't need to suffer all the time. We can beat them up whenever you're ready. Beat those guys who makes you feel miserable."

"I can't help it. I just want them to stop looking at me in a bad way. My only fault is that I let them. But I can't fight back. I will just wait for the right time."

"If you can't fight them, I will. For you."

"No one can fight my battles for me. In the end, it will still be me who will lose. I just need to find the courage."

"I want to help you."

"Just being with me and listening to me is more than enough."

"If ever I will be given a chance to protect and defend you, to make things better, I will. I just want you to know that."

"I know. Even if you don't tell me, I know."

We were silent for a few minutes.

"Franco, will you attend the party? I can endure it if you were there."

"I was not invited."

"I can invite you. It's my party after all."

"Saphira, even if I want to come, I can't. I have work even on weekends. And I already took a leave on your birthday."

"Please?"

"I'll try. But please don't keep your hopes up. I may not really make it."

Sigh.

"You know I want to always be there for you. Even if I can't make it, you can still enjoy your party. Try to mingle with your parent's friends. I'm sure they will be nice to you."

"They are nice but they kept on discussing politics and business."

"It may do you some good you know. They will get to know you as yourself, the intellectual, sincere, smart and witty Saphira that I know. And not just the daughter of a senator and a multi billionaire. Then when the time comes, it may be your edge in the business world or whichever venture you decide to take in the future."

"You know, I never thought of it like that. I guess I'll do that. . . . but I still hope you could come."

"You're such a baby!"

He started poking my cheeks to try to make me smile, and as always, he succeeded. He is the only person who can make everything seem alright.

"Stop it!"

I tried to swat his hands but he's stronger and it became a "poking battle". We tried to pinch and poke each other's faces while trying to block each other's hands. We ended up laughing our asses  off the bleachers.

"Hey. It's already 5 pm. Don't you have work today?"

"Oh shoot! I'm late! Come on! I'll lead you to your car then I'll go to the café."

"I could just drive you there you know. I also don't want to go home. I'll just wait for your shift to end if it's alright with you."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. My parents will not notice that I'm gone anyway."

"Saphira, you still need to inform them that you will be going somewhere."

"Fine! Come on!"

"Thank you but this will be the last time that you will bring me to work. Im just running late. Its your fault! You poked my face!"

"What?! You started it!"

"Did not!"

"You'll be late you know."

And then he pulled my hand and we both went to Serendipity Café.

***

That day, I decided to embrace positivity and banish pessimism. I would try my best to look into my situation in a different light. After all, my problems are just measly compared to other people's.  Take my best friend for example. His father left them when he was 12. His mother provided for all his needs but due to her poor health, he was forced to work most of his life. His independence and hard work is very astonishing. In just a young age, he was able to learn to fend for himself and to take care of his mother.

How can that compare to my attention deficit disorder, well not really the illness but that is how I want to describe my desire to be noticed by my parents.

How can I compare my struggles in school to those who suffer from oppression or racism? Well, thinking of it in that light made me feel better.

I guess there is still hope for me.

Franco's POV

Watching Saphira from across the café made me sigh with contentment. I am happy that she came here with me. If I could only request that she come here everyday so that I know she's safe. At least here, I can always make her smile some way or another.

I don't know how I came to care for her this deeply but when I saw her the first time at the library, lonesome and isolated, I felt something strange. It was like I needed to approach her. There was this imaginary string pulling me towards her. And now that imaginary string became a solid steel chain. Her pull on me is ultimately strong now. 

If she only knew how much I care about her she will not think that she will ever be alone. I hope that she knows how I wish to banish every fear, every hurt and insecurities that she have. To seal the tear ducts on her eyes with constant laughter and happiness.

Before I transferred to Brent Kelley International School, I only have one goal, and that is to get in a good college to ensure that I will have the best background and credentials in pursuing my dream to build my own business empire.

I am a dreamer. When I dream, I dream big. But now, my goals shifted. I can't just dream to build a better future. I have to do my best to gain the best life. For me, my mom and Saphira. I will make it my life mission to be worthy to be with her. 

I just have to. 

-0-0-0-

My dearest readers, what do you think of Franco? Is he getting all mushy towards Saphira? 

Is there really a guy this good and kind?

Leave your comments and don't forget to click that cute star button!