28 - Far Away

Franco's POV

I have been waiting at the hotel for almost an hour before he arrived.

He looked distraught and out of sorts. It was like he had been awake since last night without an ounce of sleep.

When I approached him, I sensed some fear from him but then I saw him mask his emotions and waited for me.

"Rob? I'm Franco, Saphira's friend."

"Yes, I know who you are."

"I am looking for Saphira."

He seemed to look behind him as if someone may have been listening before he pulled me in a corner and whispered something that really surprised me.

"The problem here is, I am looking for her too."

"What?! I don't understand. I called her home and said that she will be attending some event in New York? Were you aware of that?"

"Actually I was told the same thing too. I called her parents directly and asked about Saphira since last night I told her I will see her after I went out with our friends."

"You left her alone?"

"I wanted her to come with me like we originally planned but she said she wanted to rest. Franco, I was gone for only an hour! I came back immediately to check if she is alright. I told her to stay in her room but when I get back, she was gone, which I am sure she will never do without saying goodbye."

"Why do I sense that you are not telling me something?"

"Look, I really care about Saphira and you don't have to believe me. But I have a hunch that someone took her. I have to show you something."

So I followed him to his penthouse suite. And there I saw the origin of Saphira's threat.

"This was delivered to her last night. I was meant to throw this away but It's a good thing I kept it. We can use this as evidence. But we cannot file a case if her parents believe that she voluntarily left to go some place else. I was looking at the CCTV footages of the whole hotel since last night Franco. I can't find anything. But there was one camera near the elevator on this floor that was broken. I am thinking maybe she was taken near that elevator."

"Wait Rob, what are you saying here?"

"I saw her walk from the hallway going to the elevator just 30 minutes after I left. Franco, 30 freaking minutes after I left! Maybe she decided to join me after all. I should have just stayed with her or waited for her, but I left her, now I can't find her."

I felt some strange jealousy and pity for Rob at that moment. He was supposed to take care of her but he failed, now he is feeling as useless and miserable as me for not knowing where Saphira is.

"Look man, I am sure It was not your intention for this to happen. But we have to find her. How can we find her in this City? What about her guards?"

"The funny thing is, her guards were dismissed last night. Her head of security told me that only one security went away with her which is why I was also worried. Why only one guard when usually we were assigned with minimum of two each?"

I felt something in me click with that detail. Something that I remembered with her security escorts or someone in particular.

"Rob, do you remember the name of the security in charge with Saphira?"

"Yes. I asked and the name is. . . Ro. . .mano."

I felt like a bucket full of ice was poured over my head when he mentioned that name.

"Rob, I think I know who took her."

"Who?"

"Romano. Her security."

"What? But why?!"

"I'll explain later, we have to warn her parents but we have to talk to her other security first. Can you help me with that?"

"Yes. I will just make a few calls. We can meet them here. I will also call my parents maybe they can use their connections in this city."

"Rob, we have to keep them from leaving this city. It would be difficult for us to find them if they are far away. Romano is a trained military and will know how to go away undetected."

"Yes. I know. Now let's catch this bastard!"

I saw genuine care and concern from Rob that I was starting to think that Saphira and him were not only conference buddies. Was there anything to be afraid and jealous of? 

One problem at a time, now he has to go and hunt that devil who took his Saphira away from him.