16 - Acceptance

-0-0-0-0-0-

Franco's POV

Sharing the pain of my past with Saphira was enlightening. She made me realize that her presence alone was like a balm to my wounds. Her words, her hug, just merely being with her makes me feel at peace and carefree.

As she read the letter, I saw how her face registered hurt and hate. Hurt for me and hate for the one who inflicted my pain. I wanted to hug her and tell her that I am alright. That I was no longer affected by Madeleine's insensitive and hurtful words.

It may be because of Saphira why I now felt free. Hearing the last part of the letter, I knew that finally I can say that I have moved on.

Take care and I hope if ever we crossed paths, you have already moved on so I won't have any more problems.

"Seriously?! She has some nerve!"

I saw the rage in her eyes. She was all red and fuming with anger. If there was one thing I would want to avoid in the future was this side of her. She was so mad.

"Calm down. Hearing the letter again this time made me realize one thing."

"What?!"

I wanted to say that I am scared of her anger but I guess now is not the time. So I settled with the other truth that I felt at that moment.

"That I have finally moved on. The letter doesn't hurt my anymore."

"How come you're not hurt  when everything in that freaking letter was a lie?!"

"Saphira, calm down. For you it may be a lie but for her, I guess that's how she felt."

"Franco, stop defending her!"

I was so touched that she was upset about the letter even if it was not even related to her, so I hugged her. I can't help it, I loved hugging her. Her scent calmed my nerves.

For a second, she was silent and I knew I had to tell her something.

"Im not defending her. I am just explaining that it is not important anymore. Her perception about me is irrelevant . I am not affected anymore."

She pushed me away and searched my face for any sign that I was lying. She found none.

"You are very special to me and you know that. Reading this letter really made me feel so violent. It crushed my heart how she perceived you and how she fooled you into thinking she loved you."

I know I was special to her but hearing it from her made my heart skip a beat.

"I can see that you know."

"What?"

"I can see that I am special to you and that you are very... very furious."

"Will you stop hugging me. I can't concentrate!" 

I feel the same way Saphira. I can't concentrate. You seem to stir these weird feelings in me that I never thought I would be feeling. But, I can't tell her that. 

"If it makes you feel better, tear that letter up or just burn everything in this box."

I could have offered her the world just to calm her and make her happy once more.

"Really?" She beamed and immediately stood up.

"Aawww. why did you push me? Hey, where are you going?"

"Looking for a match and somewhere to burn those awful stuff.

As I looked at her search the room, I knew that I am finally free. I guess I was still healing when I met her, but after spending time with her, I knew I was ready to give love another chance. I was just afraid that the same thing will happen with us like what happened with Madeleine.

With Saphira, I knew I have to do things differently to keep her forever. I will take my time and just be there for her until such time that I will be able to make a name for myself and no one could ever keep us apart.

At that moment, I was sure, I am in love with my best friend.

We found a barbecue griller and use that to burn the pictures and letters, including the ones I wrote for Madeleine which I don't think she even read. I was grateful that Saphira did not ask to read those letters. She burned all the pictures without even looking. I found her expression amusing. It was like she was allergic to the contents of the box. If she can use forceps to touch the letters and pictures, I figured she would.

I felt lighter as we burned everything. Seeing Saphira's satisfied smile made everything better.

I was glad she followed me home and that she was with me today. I just hope that in the coming days, when she finds out that Madeleine is back, she will still stay with me.

I don't want to ruin the moment we were having. Just silently staring at the flames, I pulled her towards me and she leaned her head on my shoulders. I will do everything just to keep her with me.