22 - Complications

When everything was all set and the following day we will be travelling to San Franciso, something happened.

"Franco Briones. You are wanted at the Principal's Office."

I could have asked Saphira to join me but she was presenting her report in front of the class when I was called by one of the faculty.

"Good morning Sir, you called me?"

"Yes, well, I don't know how to tell you this but someone from your mother's work called in just a few minutes ago. Your mother collapsed and was rushed to the hospital. She did not say anything else but to inform you to go to Saint Therese Hospital near your area."

If I was not at the Principal's office I could have ran and rushed to the hospital.

"Franco, please tell me that you will still go to the Conference tomorrow?"

"Sir, I don't think leaving my mother will be a good idea. If possible, can you still look for a replacement?"

"I was afraid you will tell that, but yes, I think I can find someone on a short notice. But I will still keep your ticket and hotel accommodation just in case you changed your mind. Just inform me immediately so we can compromise."

"Thank you Sir for your consideration. May I please be excused? I need to go see my mother."

"Yes yes of course. I hope nothing serious happened."

"Thank you Sir. I hope so too."

And so I rushed to the hospital to find my mother sleeping with some IV and some equipment to check her oxygen and heart rate.

"Sir, the doctor wants to speak to you at his office."

"Thank you Nurse."

When I got to the Doctor's office I was very nervous, I was praying that everything will be alright and that my mom's condition is not serious."

"Mr. Briones, have a seat."

"Thank you Sir"

"Well, we both know that your mother's health especially her heart is weak. Last month I told her to take it easy at work and rest for at least a week off every once in a while from work so she can rest but she insisted that she needed to save money especially that you will be going to University next year. While at work today, she fainted and based on the symptoms, it was from stress. It was a good thing this was not a stroke but just fatigue."

"I thought she told me that she is all better. That she just need to take her medications and all will be good?"

"Yes, she is getting better but for the past month, there were signs that her heart is again showing some problems. In simple terms, her heart will start to fail her again if she will not take it easy. I don't want to burden you with more medical jargon since you and your mother are like family to me."

"Thank you Doctor. What do we have to do?"

"As we have discussed before, since she already underwent the Angioplasty treatment for her Coronary Artery Heart Disease, there is nothing we can do but to ensure that her heart condition will not repeat. She was cleared to work again since her work is mostly desk job and should not be detrimental to her health but I think, a week of leave will help her recuperate faster."

"Will there be any complications Doctor?"

"No, she fainted on her desk thankfully, she did not fall or hit her head. Your mother is exceptionally strong and I am sure she can recover easily. This is just a minor set back. You can take her home this afternoon. Just make sure she will take her medicines on time and eat the right food."

"Thank you Doctor for all your help."

When I went to my mother's room she was already awake.

"Honey, why are you here, are your bags packed already?"

"Mom, you know I can't leave you here alone."

"Nonsense! I can take care of myself. I will just ask Annie to come to our house daily while you are at your conference."

"No mom. Don't be stubborn. Just take a rest. We will be going home this afternoon."

"Fine. I am getting sleepy, must be the medication they were giving me. Please promise me you'll still go?"

"Mom, just sleep, please."

Now that I am sure that my mother was on her way to recovery, I have to inform Saphira. Looking at the phone she gave me, I saw fifteen missed calls and seven text messages.

Franco, what happened?

Call me.

Answer your phone.

Are you alright?

Is there a problem?

Franco. Im worried.

Where are you?

I was about to respond when the phone rang again and her picture flashed on the screen. With everything on my mind, I still smiled. She still made me smile no matter how heavy my heart was feeling at the moment. Only she can affect me this way.

"Hellow."

"Franco, o thank God you answered! How are you? What happened? Where are you? Why didn't you tell me where you went? I have been calling you and texting you but you . . ."

"Calm down. Breathe. Let me answer first ok?"

"But. . ."

"Saphira."

"Fine. Go on, answer my questions."

"I am fine. Though mom fainted at work and was rushed to the hospital. I am here now and have just spoken to the doctor. She is better but will need a week's rest. She's over fatigued and because she had a weak heart before, her health should be carefully looked after. I wasn't able to answer you since I was worried and I forgot to tell you I was going here out of panic. I was about to text you when you called again."

"Oh Franco. I could have been there for you. I'm sorry for nagging you. I was just worried."

"I know. But everything is fine now. We can go home this afternoon."

"Franco?"

"Yes?"

"You're not going with me to the conference now, are you?"

"You know me too well bestie."

I heard her deep sigh at the other end of the line.

"I understand. I know how much you will be worried for your mom if you were miles away from her. Don't worry about me, I will take care of myself so you don't have to worry."

"Are you sure you're going to be fine without me?"

"I will do my best. I have been independent for so long and I think four days alone will not be that bad."

"Oh. But I think someone will still go with you."

"Who?"

"I don't know too. Perhaps tomorrow you will find out."

"Why do I have this weird feeling that I will not like my new companion?"

"Bestie, what's not to like. As long as it will not be one of the bullies which I highly doubt since the school need a reliable and reputable delegate, you will do good."

"Well, I hope so. I will go over your house later after school. Just text me when you're already there. I also want to visit your mom."

"Okay. Thanks. Go on I know your next class will start in five minutes."

"See you later!"

***

A/N: I had to set the next few chapters into Private to protect my copyright.

You can read the full story if you follow me. Thank you!

The next chapter is set to private.