Murder and mystery

"Your deputy was murdered!" John exclaimed leaping to his feet.

Sherlock looked up at him like 'are we standing up or laying down?' But John was shocked.

"No one else is investigating this! He was your deputy!" John exclaimed.

"Now you know how I feel." Sherlock said, "they just think it was an accident, as if." He scoffed and looked at John hopefully.

"Who are the suspects?" John asked, "who became deputy after his...death?"

"Rabbitleap," Sherlock said, "but I don't think it was him, he's too loyal...but it could be a disguise...I haven't known him very long though. His litter mate Creekfeather died last leaf-bare and Plumwillow has three kits. Nettlesplash has an apprentice, Eggpaw and Eggpaw's sister Ivypaw is Minttail's apprentice..."

"So who are the suspects?" John asked cutting Sherlock off.

Sherlock looked pleased for a moment then said, "That's the problem, no one really could of been the murderer."

"What made you think it was murder? Why does everyone else think it was just and accident?" John asked eating up the murder case.

Sherlock smiled, "finally someone asking the right questions. I might just have to keep you."

John blushed looking at the ground then glanced around the area, "So, tell me the full story."

"Ok, it was a morning patrol that found him. They said he had left at sundown to go visit someone in Twoleg place, but no one knew who. He was found by Nettlesplash, her apprentice Eggpaw and Orange, a once daylight warrior who left after that. The other member was Creekfeather, who, as I said died last leaf-bare from green cough." Sherlock said quickly as if he'd been waiting to lay out all the facts to someone who'd listen. Sherlock paused looking at John.

     "What?" John asked.

     "I've never got this far into the case with anycat before." Sherlock said, "they usually just call me crazy and stalk off."

     "Well I'm listening so please tell me, was there any violence done to the body?" John asked.

      "No, he was just dead." Sherlock said, "they said 'oh he's old, must have had a bad heart' but he didn't. Sharpclaw was healthy when he died."

     John nodded looking around the clearing nervously, "Ok, so do you think Creekfeather's death was connected?"

     "I'm not sure, if it was wouldn't Eggpaw and Nettlesplash be dead too? And what about Orange? She's all fat and happy in twolegplace as far as I know, and I have connections." Sherlock said dramatically.

     John looked down at Sherlock who was still sprawled out on the ground his thin sides breathing impatiently and his face looking lickable...It'd only be a friendly lick of course.

     Sherlock noticed John staring at him and stared back. He was so small and fierce and so so stumpy, it was adorable.

     John looked away blushing, "we should go back to camp....it'll be night soon." He added noticing that Twoleg place was bright with artificial lights and the sun was sinking slowly.

     Sherlock nodded quietly and got to his feet, "yeah."

     The two toms walked back to camp thoughtfully. Thinking of murder, mystery...and each other.