Hello, brother mine

John walked uneasily with the patrol, his fur itched to run back to to camp and ask Sherlock if he knew what it was all about. But of course he couldn't, so John just followed Frecklepaw who strangely seemed to be leading the patrol even though, by her name, she was still an apprentice.

"Frecklepaw," John said after awhile, "would you mind telling me if you're an apprentice or not? It's none of my business, I guess, but...I was just wondering."

     Frecklepaw looked at John for a moment before venomously saying, "I can't be a full warrior until I abandon my housefolk."

     Greg and Thrushfeather shared an awkward glance.

     "It's apparently against the warrior code," she said and all signs of the bouncy young apprentice he thought she was vanished, "I'm not giving up on my parents! They raised me since I was a kit, how can I be expected to just leave them? They need me!"

     John nodded dumbly, I never thought cats actually cared for their Twolegs so much. "But...you still stay with Skyclan?"

     "Yes." Frecklepaw said looking at John as if he were crazy, "They are the other half of my family."

     John just nodded, that he could understand. But he could somewhat see why the clan wanted her to leave the Twolegs to be a full warrior. Sure she might be loyal now, but what would she do if she had to pick between clan or Twolegs? Who would she choose?

     Frecklepaw gave John a look as if daring him to voice his opinions, but he remained silent thinking he liked her better as a young energetic apprentice even though she was obviously just a easily excited, small, middle aged warrior.

     John hung toward the back of the patrol after that and listened to the others conversations. Frecklepaw and Thrushfeather seemed to be ok, friends and Thrushfeather joked with Greg.

     Suddenly a scent tickled John's nose and he felt drawn to it. Thinking it couldn't be anything important he wondered off to find what it was.

     John followed the trail a good ways away from the patrol and was violently shoved forwards falling on his face. He saw four large tabbies the largest had a sled tied to his collar and the the others ran at him. One slipped a collar over his head while the other attached a leash and the fourth stuffed a cloth over John's nose before he could fight off the others.

     "John!"

     "John! Where are you?"

     The cries of his patrol rang in John's ears as his eyes rolled back...

     "Well, that took a while."

     John groggily lifted his head and glared at the fluffy, slightly over weight, chocolate brown tom sitting in front of him. They were under a black umbrella that was resting on it's side, folded out. They were in an abandoned Twoleg den surrounded by boxes and shelves full of more boxes.

    "What is this all about?" John asked climbing to his feet but finding he still had the collar and there was a rope attacked, tying him to one of the shelves.

     "Just a bit of bribery." The brown tom said looking at the wall where a circle covered in glass was ticking softly. "So, how do you know Sherlock?"

     "I met him the day before yesterday!" John said and glared at the tom, there was something strange and cold about him.

     "I have something to ask," the tom said, "would you do it for me, John?"

     "It depends on what it is." John said nervously watching the tom suspiciously.

     "Watch him for me," the tom said, "any cat could use some treats, I will give them to you if you watch him for me."

     "What?" John asked, "I'm not stalking Sherlock for some blasted treats! They are kittypet food after all!"

     At the word kittypet the tom cringed and then went back to being cold, "Quick to be loyal...interesting," then he turned to look at the ticking thing in the wall, "I think it's about time. What do you think?"

     Before John could respond to the strange tom, there was a battle cry, many hisses and growls and then a thin black tom raced into the room. He pelted towards John and he almost stepped away, but before he could the cat bawled him over meowing about how everything was going to be alright and cutting the collar off with its claws.

     "Sherlock!" John realized looking at the ebony-black tom who was staring at him passionately, but then he turned away.

     Sherlock stalked over to the brown tom and hissed, "Mycroft this has gone too far!"

     "Brother dear! It's nice to see you too." The brown tom, Mycroft, said glaring back at Sherlock.

     John looked between the two, brothers? They didn't look alike at all...except their eyes were shinning with the same sibling rivalry. They had to be litter mates.

     "What were you doing dragging John into all this?" Sherlock hissed and glanced back at John as if making sure he wasn't a melted puddle of pitiful squeaks.

     "I needed to talk." Mycroft spat flicking his fluffy tail and making dust float about, "My other methods proved fruitless...so I had to become more drastic with getting your attention."

     "Did he hurt you?" Sherlock flicking his tail at his brother and coming over to John. There was pure caring in his eyes as if John was a tiny kitten who tripped and bumped his nose.

     "No, I'm fine." John said looking away and feeling his pelt heat with embarrassment.

     "Why would I hurt him?" Mycroft scoffed, "he's my bait, brother dear. What would I do with out our little dependable John?"

     John growled at that and looked at Sherlock who glared at Mycroft as if trying to make him melt into a puddle.

     "Whatever, it was doesn't matter." Sherlock said, then turned to John, "We'd better get back to camp." And with that they got up and walked towards the door.

     "There's going to be another murder." Mycroft meowed as they were about at the exit.

     "When?" Sherlock asked not even turning back.

     "That's for you to find out, brother mine." Mycroft said, "other wise there'd be no fun."