Back at camp

John followed Minttail back to camp, Donovan and Anderson had taken the book, and now carried it between them on their shoulders. Even though they had apparently taken the book away from them, John wanted to laugh at their arrogance. At least me and Sherlock don't have to carry that heavy book all the way back to camp! At the thought of the ebony tom, John glanced to the right where Sherlock walked with him. From where John walked he could tell some major gears were turning in his friends mind. What is he thinking up?

     As they walked through the camp, the clan cats watched the patrol curiously. They stared at the large book that Anderson and Donovan were struggling to carry. Mistyspots and Dappledshadow watched John disappointedly, as if they knew what he had 'done' probably meant he was no good.

     With a thud Donovan let the book slid off her shoulders and onto the dusty ground. "Careful." Sherlock snapped at them, and John didn't point out the fact that the book was already tattered from them dragging it all the way to the forest.

     "Whatever." Donovan hissed at Sherlock, and rolled her eyes.

     Rabbitleap and Greg walked over to them. "What's this, Minttail?" Rabbitleap asked. "Your patrol just left, and now you return with the two missing cats...and a, um, Twoleg object, but you seem grim. What is the meaning?"

     "We found them while out on patrol." Minttail said, "they had that with them, I don't know why." She paused to look at John and Sherlock, "I thought it would be best if I took them straight to Leafstar."

Rabbitleap sighed and looked at John and Sherlock, "Alright," he said and then swished his tail, "You two, come with me, and you as well, Minttail."

Rabbitleap led them to the leaders den, and John felt his pelt burn with the stares of the clan. Cool fur brushed John on his left, and he breathed in Sherlock's scent, cold stone and sharp leaves. Feeling slightly less anxious, John lifted his head and walked into Leafstar's den.

Rabbitleap nudged his leader, and she sleepy awoke. Struggling to her old paws, Leafstar sat and studied the cats before her. "What is the meaning of this?" She meowed.