The murder patrol

"This is the patrol that will help you investigate Sharpclaw's death." Rabbitleap said as he walked over.

     He nodded to the cats, and the other cat stepped forward, she introduced herself. "I'm Mary, I'm a daylight warrior." John took a moment to appreciate her golden pelt, before he nodded back at her.

     "I'm John." He then turned to Rabbitleap, "I assume Sherlock is in charge of this patrol?"

     "Well," Rabbitleap sat down and glanced down at John, "Greg has top authority over this, um, investigation and--"

     "Oh for Pete's sake! You put Gavin in charge? And of course we have the two lovers, mindless and dull. But I suppose some brute strength is okay, and Mary here...might be useful. Frecklepaw...well, we'll see. But really Gram, the leader? He knows nothing about what I've been researching." Sherlock said and rolled his eyes.

"My name is Greg." Greg said angrily as he stepped toward Sherlock.

"Well," Sherlock said with a purr of amusement, "He can at least remember his name, better than those other two mousebrains."

John stifled a laugh and saw Crimsontear shift uncomforta- bly, "I don't know what this is all about, but I'm here to put a stop to any nonsense, so, no nonsense!"

Sherlock rolled his eyes at the intimidating she-cat, "Right." He then turned away from the patrol and walked towards his den. John followed him doubtfully.

"Where are you going?" Greg shouted from where the patrol was still sitting by the river.

     "I have some reading to do!" Sherlock called back, and ducked into his den. John followed him into the cool den, before realizing something.

     "The book is still outside by--"

     "No, Molly brought the book here for me." Sherlock said dismissing John, he turned his attention back to the book in front of him.

     Cautiously John walked over to the dark tom and peered over the side of the book at him. Silently John sniffed the book and then curled up to let Sherlock read in peace. Outside John could hear the rest of the team muttering before Greg decided for them to go look at the place where Sharpclaw was found. What good that'll do! They know nothing about the case at all!

     Where Sharpclaw was found. Wait, found? Was he killed there? Or did he die somewhere else and was he dragged there? Well his scent would be different...there would be other scents too, if he was brought there. Unless the scents were washed away, perhaps...?