Chapter 4: An Old Friend

"Her best friend came?" Chubbs, Aubrey's long-time childhood best friend, asked.

It has been a week since since that night happened. Their interactions for the past week have not been as eventful as it was during the first two nights they met. It was mostly hi's and hello's when they would pass by each other in the hall. When they have extra time, they'd go over the other's apartment just for a chat but that's it. It was actually a friendship, nothing else. Aubrey deep down was not disappointed by it because that's what they agreed to do, just be friends. For the meantime, both of them have been busy with work, there's not much time to think about anything else other than that.

"Yeah she came and that's it." Aubrey said as he fixed the papers on his desk. He's been in the studio all day and it was finally time for him to go home.

"What happened?"

"Nothing happened!" he said, trying to force Chubbs to stop asking.

He was right, nothing happened. After Melissa came in, she was surprised by the fact there was a man in her best friend's apartment, besides the fact that Robyn completely forgot they were supposed to go out. After they met, Aubrey let himself out since the ladies obviously had plans.

Aubrey heard his phone buzz. He looked down to see a text message from a girl. Not the girl they've been talking about that's for sure. The name read: Shay.

"Hey, what you doing tomorrow night?"

"Shay texted me" he told Chubbs.

"What, she's feeling thirsty tonight?"

He rolled his eyes to ignore his comment. Usually, he'd be down to do whatever she wants but he really was not feeling it. Shay's been a girl that he would mess around with once in a while within the past year and half. They met at a bar and hit it off. Not a single time since they met that he wanted to pursue anything than being friends with benefits, it wasn't like that for him. Relationships aren't his thing. Plus, Shay was not really his type. Then who is? This was at least the first time that he did not feel the need to please her and it was unusually weird but he was not one bit bothered by it.

"Sorry, I'm a little busy." he replied back

"Yeah, probably but nah I'm good man"

"You got a picture of this Robyn girl? Is she hot?"

"Nah but she has a house warming tomorrow night around 8, you should come. This girl's something else. She's cool." he let out an unnoticeable smile.

"She got you sprung. Is this a first for Mr. Graham?"

"Shut up, she's my neighbor. You'll know once you meet her and I'm gonna have to pull off the 'I told you so' card on you."

They headed out the door but Aubrey turned around just before he opened it.

"She's off limits, though. She's not like them."

Around 7:30 pm, Aubrey was finally almost home. It was still a little early for him but he's been working so hard for the past couple of nights, he thought he deserved an early night in. As he walked towards his apartment building he wondered if he'd stop by to say hi to her, that's if she's even there. He really liked her company. They always had something to talk about, some things he can't just tell his other friends casually but he can tell her. Their connection was not forced at all.

"You're just gonna ignore me like that?" he heard a familiar voice behind him.

Aubrey turned around before he entered the building to see an old friend. He was standing close to the door, it seemed like he's been waiting for him. He and Aubrey have been friends for a while now. He became one of Aubrey's first friends when he moved to the California at the age of 18. They were roommates for a good two years until he transferred to a new school in New York to finish his degree.