Fifteen

The years that came and went passed by all too swiftly. Nettie and I grew from children into young women, sharing secrets, laughter, and friendship. She was a common sight at my home, nearly as a part of my family as I was, and I spent many nights at her home over the years. She turned into a young woman ample in form, full figured and soft spoken, while I grew tall and lithe, prone to a quick temper and sharp tongue. Despite the vast differences between us, our friendship strengthened. Nettie made me feel as though my heritage did not matter, and I loved her dearly for it.

Our teenage years also brought drastic change and bouts of emotional upheaval. We often banded together against the world, feeling rebellious and misunderstood, even by our own parents. During the more difficult years, Nettie and I even quarreled, bringing us to teary reunions and sincere promises to be kinder next time. When we turned thirteen, we began to blossom from children into young women. Being that we were not viewed as proper young ladies, the boys in our class chose to exercise their growing manhood on us.

During a heavy downpour of rain one afternoon after school, Bobby Nash and his inseparable friend Sammy Hayes cornered us behind the school. Surrounded by George Harris, Charlie Gruff and his younger brother Bert, there was nowhere for Nettie and I to go. They grabbed Nettie, throwing her to the ground as they pulled and tugged at her dress. Bobby and Sammy tackled me, trying to kiss and touch me. Full of righteous fury, I let my rage go. Twisting, kicking, biting, scratching and hitting, I got free of my attackers and threw myself at the ones pinning Nettie down.

The solid toe of my leather boot connected with ribs, arms, backs and faces as I kicked and stomped them loose. It was feral, the savage emotions I felt snaking through me. Being boys, and knowing they'd done something truly punishable, it did not take long to convince them to leave us alone. Once they'd run away calling insults behind them, I pulled Nettie to her feet. Her hair was wild, her dress torn, her face wet with tears. Pulling her into my arms, I sought to comfort and assure her that I was going to protect her. The next day, word spread of more Indian attacks on the boys, attempted kidnapping, knife wounds, even broken bones. The worst of it was bestowed upon Sammy Hayes, and deep in my heart I was glad.

The parents all got together to discuss what had happened, but the majority of the town was white. They looked down on Nettie's family, and me, with a judgmental and critical eye. Although Frank called for justice, the feeling was that we girls would simply have to endure...for our troubles were our own. It settled the determination within me that I would keep Wind Runner out of it, and if he was going to avenge my honor I was going to let him, come what may.

In my fourteenth year, Nettie and I snuck out of our houses and met at the trail during the middle of the night. Wild with jubilation we ran all the way to town, walking the streets and peering in through the windows of the saloons until the marshal caught us. He sent Nettie home with a kind young deputy, but I was his personal charge that he escorted home.

Mamma was furious and said if I wanted to behave like a wild child, then I could sleep in the barn until I appreciated having a nice home. Frank sent me to sleep in an empty stall, but came along with me, 'to make sure I stayed there' he claimed. He never said a word about my sneaking away, but had told me interesting stories of his travels as a young man until I fell asleep. It was a week before our parents let us see one another again, but it did not stop Nettie and I from our bold adventures.

Later that year we again endured persecution from the town boys, this time having to protect ourselves from stoning, as they pelted us with large rocks on our way home from school. Bobby and Sammy were again the leaders in the assault, and though I carried only bruises, Nettie suffered a fractured shoulder and a split lip. Before the week was out, Bobby vanished from his home and was found three days later, naked, staked to the ground and covered with fire ants. He was sick for weeks from the toxin in their painful bites. Sammy Hayes was snatched away on his way home from town and strung upside down, the bottoms of his feet badly beaten, the lobes of his ears cut off.