Twenty One

"We have to do something Frank," Mamma's voice drifted up to me in the dark. I had finally been persuaded to return to bed although I could not sleep. My parents thought me sleeping, or they would not be speaking about me now. Without moving, I just listened.

"What can we do Jenny?" Frank's tone was frustrated, worried. "If she won't tell us what happened, there ain't a blasted thing we can do."

"I have never seen her so hurt, or so sad...I just can't understand it." Mamma's chair scraped softly as she got up, a second later the gentle clink of dishes sounding in the sink.

"She's been seein' that Indian boy, Wind Runner," Frank started softly. "Maybe somethin' happened-"

"Frank!" Mamma instantly hushed her outcry. "Goodness, Frank, you don't think he tried to hurt her?"

"No, not intentionally." I heard his boots quietly echo on the floorboards as he paced. "You know how she feels about the Sioux, Jenny...maybe it's time to talk to her about where she's headed. Jaynie ain't a little girl anymore."

"I can't stand the thought," Mamma paced too, her voice tight. "I don't want her living with them!"

"It's going to be her choice, honey," Frank soothed. "In the end, what we say ain't gonna matter. She's going to decide for herself."

"She's my baby, Frank..." I heard Mamma's voice catch as she held back tears. "Can't she just stay here?"

"That won't be enough for her, you know that. She's gonna want to grow up, get out on her own, marry...who around here would have her? Maybe the Sioux ain't such a bad option if it makes her happy."

"If only she'd talk to us!" I could picture Mamma in mind, her face buried in her hands, Frank putting his arms around her.

"Can't force her Jenny...only be willing to listen when she does."

"Do you really think she'll marry that Indian?" Mamma's voice broke a long silence, and I felt my muscles twitch as I strained to hear.

"She might honey," Frank's honest answer pleased me, although I was not certain of the answer myself. "I can't rightly think of anyone else- well, Jaynie has a way of surprisin' a body."

"What do you mean?" I tried not to resent the amount of hope in my mother's voice. "Do you know something you're not sharing, Frank?"

"Toby Whitney spends a bit of time watchin' her, and they went for a ride together."

"They just met!"

"So had we, when you married me," Frank reminded her. "I don't think we regret it."

"Of course not, but Frank...Toby Whitney? Is he right for our daughter?"

"Who can say?" I could almost see Frank's shrug. "Only Butterfly knows the answer to that."

"She was so heartbroken," Mamma's voice turned thoughtful. "Almost like when Napayshni died, remember? She cried as though she'd lost a part of herself- oh!"

At her sudden cry I sat up, silently. Mamma was nestled in Frank's arms, staring into his eyes.

"How could I not have seen it? Jaynie was heartbroken! What if that Indian boy asked her to go back with him, and she said no? Maybe they quarreled, and that's why she's so upset!"

I felt a shudder of resentment at Mamma's insightful words. She appeared much too pleased at the idea to make me happy with her. Frank just gazed at her, thinking.

"Could be...but honey, don't go countin' your eggs 'til this is said and done. Plenty of young couples fight before workin' it out."

"Don't call them that," Mamma's mouth curled a little. "They're not courting, Frank."