Eighteen

The children poured from the schoolhouse like a flash flood from the river, a laughing, shouting, turbulent mass of joy. I stood in the shade beneath the established branches of the faithful sycamore, waiting. Rose saw me almost instantly, her face filling with joy.

"Sissy!" Flying from the other children, my little sister threw herself into my arms giggling. "You're walking me home?"

"Yes," sweeping her up, I blew hard kisses against her neck making her squeal in delight. "I'm sorry I wasn't there to walk with you this morning."

"I'm glad you're here now," her forgiving spirit made me smile, but I saw her glance back at the other children, who watched with slight scowls and secret whispers. Seeds of prejudice were already sown.

"Sissy?" Rose was watching me, her doe eyes hesitant.

"What?"

"Are you a savage, like everyone says?"

It was like a knife shoved through my heart. Knees quivering a little, I set Rose down, kneeling in front of her. Nettie was with her younger siblings off to one side, waiting. From a quick glance at her, I could tell she'd overheard the question.

"You know that Frank isn't my father by blood, Rose," I started softly. "I've told you about my father's people. I am Yanktonai, and white."

"Pete Phipps says Indians are no good, that they're little better than animals and half breed like you should be run outta town. Is that true?"

"Rose!" I couldn't help but be shocked, and so didn't correct her grammar. "You know better than that!"

"But everybody says it, Sissy." Her young features were tight and I could tell she was confused, and struggling. "Gillian Shoe calls you a half squaw, and said you're only fit for a brothel, like her mamma says, but I said I don't know what brothel is and to not talk about you like that! Violet Hayes made fun of me for having you as a sister and told everybody I should be ashamed of you, and not let you walk with me anymore."

"Is that what you want?" I asked her quietly. Inside I felt a raging tornado of emotion brewing but strove to control it, to remember my sister was a child. Her youthful innocence was not a reason to blame her for her doubts, and no doubt Violet's older brother Sam had much to do with the girl's disdain of me. Rose regarded me woefully for a moment, tears building in her green eyes.

"I want you to always love me, Sissy."

"And so I shall," bending forward, I put both hands on her shoulders. "Nothing in this world can make me stop loving you."

"What if everyone gets mad at me?" her whisper broke my heart, all the while making hatred for the intolerance of others climb up my throat.

"For what, Rose?"

"For loving you too," a slow blink sent a single tear down her pink cheek, and I lovingly wiped it away.

"I will always be here for you, Rose, as will Mamma and Frank. It doesn't matter what anyone else says."

"Are you mad at me?" her lower lip trembled a little, and I drew her into my arms.

"There is nothing I can do about being half Indian, Rose, and you will have to learn how to deal with other people who don't like that. I am not angry with you for having doubts..."

"I love you Kimi." Her murmur was against my neck, her shortened version of my native name warming my heart.

"I love you too, so very much." Kissing her hair, I got to my feet, holding out my hand. "Walk you home?"

Her small fingers wrapped tightly around mine, and with Nettie and her siblings falling in with us, we headed away from the schoolyard. The little ones began to frolic along the way, and were soon running ahead, laughing and playing. Nettie stayed at my side.