Twenty

Lost in the intensity of the embrace, neither of us noticed the sound of approaching footsteps.

"Ahem..." the softly cleared throat whirled us around, and I found Toby Whitney standing nearby, his eyes on the grass. My feet abruptly hit ground as Wind Runner faced the unwelcome intrusion, his arm snaking around my waist to push me behind him.

"Pardon me, Miss Jaynie," he risked a glance up, then met the fierce gaze of Wind Runner's black eyes. The brave's lips pulled back in a vicious snarl.

"You was gone a long while, I was gettin' worried." Toby never moved, keeping his blue eyes fixed to Wind Runner. There was an expression in them, one I didn't quite recognize.

"Ow u shnee o! Ee eye yel'lo! (You are not welcome here! Go away from us!)" My companion stepped fully between Toby and me, gesturing sharply with his hand.

"Miss Jaynie?" Toby held his ground without even blinking, and I felt a glimmer of respect for him. Wind Runner was an imposing figure in any situation, but with the shadows of darkness around him the warrior made a fierce image.

"I am fine...you should go now, Toby."

"A'right..." briefly his eyes found me. "Holler if you need me."

"Heya yel'lo! (Go away)!" Wind Runner barked the order. Slowly, giving no hint that he was worried about the brave, Toby turned his back and moved off, his footsteps receding in the darkness.

"He is not a threat to you," I murmured softly, putting my hand on Wind Runner's arm. The brave glared at me, hatred in his eyes.

"How quickly your mind forgets! He and the other white man used their guns against us- They wanted to kill me!"

"It was not him that did so, Al Baily is the one I do not trust. This man, Toby, he is a good man."

"Good?" he sneered the word at me. "It sickens me to hear you speak that way!"

"Sickens you!" Now my temper was flaring. "Must I see everything through Wind Runner's eyes? Am I not daughter of a white woman too? I sicken you? How can you say you love me when you speak those words so easily?"

"He is a white man!"

"And you are Indian!"

"He is not your kind!"

"Neither are you!"

We glared at one another, arms crossed, nostrils flaring as our tempers raged. I had never imagined this would happen, would never have fathomed my companion of so many years would be so angry and intolerant. Suddenly it all seemed so overwhelming and unwanted tears bloomed in my eyes. The foundation I'd always stood upon had been ripped out from under me.

"Just...go away!" I cried, whirling around to sprint back toward the house. Wind Runner called after me but I did not pause. Splashing through the water blinded by tears, I was sobbing as I ran, my heart breaking. Bursting through the trees I ran into a solid wall of flesh and bounced off, hitting the ground on my backside. Sniffling, rivers running down my cheeks I had barely looked up when Toby was at my side, pulling me to my feet.

"Miss Jaynie! What'sa matter, you hurt?"

Yanking my arm free, I dodged around him, running for the house. His heavier footsteps were behind me, and before I reached the porch he'd caught my arm, pulling me to a rough stop to spin me around. His expression was tight.

"What happened?"

"Nothing! Let me go!" I pushed away from him but Toby's grip on my arm tightened.

"Not nothin'! You was kissin' him and now you're cryin' awful hard Miss Jaynie-"