Thirty One

"I been trailin' in Toby's shadow ever since we was boys," Al continued "an' whilst I was mean tempered, Tobe...he was mean spirited. I ain't never saw a man like him afore, smilin' to a fella's face while readyin' to shoot him in the back, an' never losin' a nights' sleep over it...A man like that, he don't deserve folks good opinion. I stayed with 'im 'cause I figured I owed him my life, I reckon I got sore at you, bein' that you was all smart an' tough when we was youngin's, then fallin' over yourself when he started charmin' you. Even a half breed outta know better'n that, battin' your eyes at the first man to take notice of you.

"I also figure what he did was mighty wrong, not comin' forward about shootin' you accidental like, an' I suppose I'm partly to blame for not speakin' out before it got so bad. I knew he was sore 'bout that buck you was sparkin', I just never figured he'd take it so far. I'm sorta glad he's been set back on his heels a bit, it's about time. With him ridin' Lady Luck's petticoat all these years, I kinda feel your stabbin' him was just the frillin', your pa cuttin' off his trigger finger the dressin', an' his luck just plum ran out."

That was the longest speech I'd ever heard from Al Baily, and for a moment sat quietly, processing what he'd said. That he would think so deeply on anything was astounding to me, then my attention turned sharply to my own luck.

"What about the town? He'll talk about what happened, just to see me killed...after what I've done. I can't go back-" I could hear the shouts, see the ugly, triumphant looks of those who've always hated me-

"I sorta took liberty to speak a word to Tobe 'bout that..." at his hesitation I swung my head around, surprised to see Al's features a little shy. "He knows if he says a word about you an' what you done, I go straight to the law, an' we both head to the gallows for a long overdue hangin'. He keeps his mouth shut, so do I."

"Why? You didn't have to do that."

"Just be grateful, Jaynie Colter." His snap was typically coarse. "You the most difficult woman I ever laid eyes on. Cain't you just say thanks?"

"Serves you right for coming to work for my father," I shot back. "Frank can make a decent man out of anyone...almost." Though I wasn't looking, I would swear I felt him smile.

"When did Frank ask you to bring me home?" I asked a little later. Al grunted, seeming irritated I had broken the silence.

"Few hours after you left. Your ma near threw him from the house an' I could hear her upbraidin' him clear from the barn. She said if you wasn't welcome neither was he, no matter what it was you done. She also said if you wasn't home by tonight he could just move out of the house."

"Really?"

"Rare thing to see a white woman so mad," he commented casually. "Your ma has a temper...I could hear her clear over the storm."

"Yes," I felt a grin tug at my lips. "It's a family trait...and Al?"

"What now?"

"Thank you." He answered with a sour growl and I ducked my head down to hide my smile. Al Baily was worse than any bad tempered bear with a toothache, and remembering his raucous laughter upon finding Toby, definitely a man with his own brand of humor. Tired, muscles aching, I partly leaned back into his body for support, resigning myself to his temperamental and begrudging care. He shifted backward in the saddle, stiff.

"Don't crowd me woman,"

"Al," I didn't even open my eyes. "Shut up."

Frank was in the yard when we got back, leaning against a corral post staring at the saddle stock penned there. His head turned when we got close, expression blank. Al slid me to the ground then rode away, leaving us to face each other. My father's eyes were flat.