Twenty Three

Once I was alone, after Mamma and Rose had gone, I sat at the kitchen table cradling a cup of coffee in my hands. Mind whirling, emotions churning, I didn't hear the door open. Too many confused thoughts were milling around in my mind. Only when the shadow fell across the table did I look up, and stiffen.

"Well, ain't got nothin' better to do that sit around?" Al Baily's voice cut through the silence, thick with disdain.

"Get out of my home." Rising to my feet, I faced him, glaring. He sauntered toward me, but I moved, keeping the table between us. The fact that he'd likely come in for a cup of fresh coffee held no relief for me- I hated him!

"Scared, squaw?" Putting his hands on the wood, he leered at me.

"Of what?" Curling my lip, I felt my heart race as anger came to the surface. I wanted to strike him. "You disgust me."

"I know you prefer a savage to a real man, I ain't a fool." Leaning closer, his eyes traveled the length of my slim frame. "You ain't fit for a decent man."

"How would you know what a decent man is?" I shot back, suddenly afraid for Wind Runner. I didn't like the idea that Al Baily's words put into my mind.

"Why you-!"

"Al!" A deep voice cut through the tension, and we both turned. Framed in the doorway, standing tall and angry, Toby was watching, his eyes flaring. "Cut it out!"

"She ain't nothin' but a-"

"I never had reason to cut loose on you before, Al," Toby interrupted. "Don't give me an excuse now."

"You threatenin' me, over the half breed squaw?" Al was startled. "What's got into you Tobe?"

"She's the boss' daughter, Al, and a lady. I ever have cause to question your intentions toward her I'll tear you apart, an' if there's any hide left on you Colter'll strip it off. Now get steppin'."

Al's eyes narrowed as his lips flattened into an ugly snarl. I watched his fingers ball into fists.

"I reckon we gonna have a few things to sort out later, Tobe."

"Anytime Al." Toby stood to one side letting Al push past him from the house, then he looked at me. "You alright?"

"Fine," In truth I felt a little shaky, the unexpected confrontation leaving my legs a little weak. There had been a moment when I wasn't certain what Al was going to do, or try to do.

"I was stoppin' by for a cup of coffee." As if nothing out of the ordinary just happened, Toby stepped inside leaving the door open. "Any fresh?"

"Yes," I waved at the stove. "Help yourself."

Pouring his cup, Toby's eyes swung to me.

"Can I ask you somethin'?"

"Yes," regarding him curiously, I wondered what was on his mind. It was so hard to read what he was thinking. He took a drink before glancing at me.

"We didn't get to really talk, about the other night, I guess I was wonderin'...Miss Jaynie, you courtin' that Indian fella?"

"I...I don't see why that matters to you," our eyes met as I said it and he grinned, shaking his head.

"That ain't an answer."

"It's personal, and you are not family." I started to get up but he put a hand out, laying his fingers gently across my wrist. I felt my skin twitch at the contact, goosebumps racing up my arm. Against my will I felt my pulse increase.

"It's just...I was kinda hopin'...I was wantin' to know if you'd...would you walk out with me, sometime?" I watched as his cheeks tinted a little, but he didn't break eye contact.