Chapter 9

Chara pulled Frisk along, as Sans followed closely behind. Once Chara was sure that they had lost Undyne, they stopped to rest. Frisk had their hands on their knees and was panting, they looked as if they would collapse at any moment; Sans was standing closely next to them and he was breathing slightly harder, and glaring at the self proclaimed demon. Chara turned away.
"We've lost Undyne, which is good, but as long as we are in Waterfall; then there is a chance we will bump into her again, and that's not good for you, Frisk," Chara said. Chara walked up to Frisk, brushing their fingers against the flowers before resting their hand on Frisks cheek...well, more like the flowers taking over Frisks cheek.
"It could be the next death or a few deaths from now, but that eye will get covered soon. Once that eye is covered, you'll be rendered blind and it'll be much easier for you to be killed. And I predict that once that starts happening, that your determination will drop to the point that you won't have the will to live anymore." Frisk shivered at the thought. Chara dropped their hand from Frisks cheek.
"If that happens, then I'll die," Chara's face then merged into something from a  nightmare; their eyes and mouth turned pitch black and seemed to be oozing a tar like liquid. Frisks eye widened and they tried to back up, but Chara grabbed their arm.
"I can absorb your soul right now and live forever!" Chara then laughed, the deep demonic laugh that resonated throughout Waterfall. Chara's face then went back to normal.
"I want to see what you can do, how long you can last on your little pacifist route. You've got determination to last, but that will soon all fade away, and I'll swoop in and steal your soul. Then, I'll live forever and destroy everything," Chara said with a chuckle, acting like everything that happened before had never occurred.

"We should probably rest a bit, before Undyne shows up again," Chara said, sitting on the ground. Frisk sat as well, but further away from Chara, Sans sat next to Frisk.
"Stay as far away from them as you can, Frisk. You don't want to mess with them," Sans murmured. Frisk looked at Chara, Chara seemed to be talking with Flowey and they both looked almost...happy, truly happy. Frisk shrugged.
"It's not like they are trying to kill me right this moment, besides it seems like they have two different sides to them, one of which they can't control," Frisk said. They didn't like to assume that someone was evil without giving them a chance, if they had thought like that, then they wouldn't have become friends with Sans. Sans scoffed.
"It doesn't matter if they aren't killing you now nor does it matter if they can't control the demonic side of them, they are dangerous and I don't want you to get hurt by that demon over there," he said a bit to loudly, for Chara turned and glared at him.
"Shut up, skeleton!" They said, turning back to Flowey.
"And I thought I told you to get some rest, Frisk, you too Asr- I mean Flowey," Chara said, covering up their mistake with a smile. Both Frisk and Flowey were confused, but they didn't want to upset Chara, so they listened.

Frisk woke up to the feeling of someone shaking them and screaming.
"Frisk! Wake the fuck up, Undyne is here!" Frisks eye fluttered open to see Chara crouched beside them and shaking them. They looked behind Chara to see Sans fighting Undyne and Flowey trying to restrain the royal guardsman. Frisks eye widened and they stood up, as they were about to run over and help, Chara grabbed their arm and scoffed.
"You do some idiotic and reckless things a lot, but don't run into a fight you can't win," Chara said turning away.
"Come on, let's leave while she's distracted." Chara started walking away, pulling Frisk with them. Frisk looked back at the fight just in time to see Sans thrown against a wall, as well as Flowey. Undyne summoned a spear above her head, pointed at Sans. Frisks eye widened and they shook themselves from Chara's grip, running towards Sans.
"Frisk! Get back here you idiot!" Chara hissed. Frisk ignored them and ran right in front of Undyne, blocking the spear from hitting Sans. The spear placed itself in Frisks soul and their eye widened, Undyne both grumbled and smirked; grumbled at the fact that she had been stopped from killing Sans, but smirked at the defeat of the human. At the feeling of blood hitting him, Sans opened his eyes to be greeted with the site of Frisk kneeling on the ground with a spear in their chest. Frisk turned to look at him and smiled as best as they could.
"I didn't want you to get killed," Frisk said, and collapsed to the ground dead.

"Frisk...are you awake?" Someone asked them. Frisk thought they opened their eyes, but could only see darkness.
"What's happening? Why can't I see?" Frisk asked. They heard Chara sigh above them.
"From dying to Undyne, the flower formed on your last good eye, like I predicted," Chara said, there was a pause.
"Frisk, it was stupid of you to do that, but I guess it was also pretty brave considering that you knew the consequences. I can semi respect someone like that," Chara said with a sigh. Frisk smiled a bit and stood up.
"It was still stupid of you to do that, sweetheart. You should put your own well being before others," they heard Sans say. Frisk shook their head, and turned to where they assumed the voice came from.
"Unlike you, I can reset. If you died and I had survived, I would have had to go on without you," Frisk said with a frown. They heard Chara sigh next to them.
"You should still put yourself first. Down here, in the Underground, that's the best option. Come on, we want to get moving before Undyne shows up, we woke you up earlier so we wouldn't be surprised again," Chara said. Frisk heard the sound of receding footsteps, and they tried to follow; but since they couldn't see, they ended up stumbling a bit. Frisk felt someone grasp their arm and steady them, before they placed their hand in Frisks.
"Come on," Frisk heard Chara say.
"We don't want to run into Undyne again, do you? So I'll help be your guide." Chara started walking, holding Frisks hand this time and walked at a slower pace.
"Thanks, Chara," Frisk said.
"Yeah, yeah, don't mention it," Chara mumbled. Frisk smiled to themselves and held Chara's hand a bit tighter, and walked with them in a comfortable silence. Chara didn't seem like a demon to Frisk, they did have their creepy moments, but it seemed to Frisk to just be a side of Chara that they couldn't control. But Frisk will still save Chara from that bit of darkness and show them freedom and the good in life...and it might be simpler than they first thought.