Chapter 13

-Dream-

"CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON, DONTCHA CRY NO MORE!" Wow Jess is so beautiful, I really love her. "JAMES!" I quickly look up to see a car getting ready to slam into us, I stop the car so abruptly that Jessica's body slams through the window shield. My chest collides with the steering wheel making my breathing rough. I try to get out of the car but I'm dazed by what happened. Then Darkness. "Jess?"

"Jessica?..... Where am I?"

The darkness surrounded me, "It all your fault! YOU killed me!"

I feel tears stinging my eyes by hearing her voice in the abyss. "Why couldn't you have looked at the road?!"

"Jessica I'm-I'm so sorry! I-I love you!"

"You need help! You CARVED a joker smile on you!"

"I know! I kno-" I didn't finish it because I fell to my knees and wept. 

                          -Awake-

"Jess..."  I open my eyes only to see a dumpster beside me. "You were crying."

"What?" I look over to see a little girl, maybe 6? I don't know.

"You were crying in your sleep. Why? Are you sad?"

"Umm, yeah.... Yeah I am."

She tilts her head like she's curious. "Why you sad?"

"Well.... I lost something.... I know I'll never get it back."

"Like a toy?"

"Ha... Yeah, yeah... I guess."

"I had my teddy until daddy took him from me..."

"Where's your family?"

"Well, daddy told me that I have to stay here forever..."

That's terrible. A father who didn't want to take care of his kid! This girl is so sweet, why?

"You can stay with me? Do you want to?"

She looks up and smiles ear to ear and says, "Yes!"

She doesn't comment on my scabbed over smile, I don't think she's afraid... But when other people look and me they ask a whole bunch of questions.

"What's your name?"

"Jessica! What your name?"

"J-Jessica?"

She nods her head like she a proud and my eyes get glassy. "Oh! My name is James."

"Oh I really like that name!"

I stand up and put the bandana on and swing the bag over my shoulder. "Where are we going?"

"Back home..."

"Okay!"

As were walking on the sidewalk I feel a little hand holding onto my hand. I look down to see Jessica smiling while holding onto my hand.