Chapter Nine

Cassie

I closed the bathroom door and quickly got undressed. I tried not to look too hard at my reflection. My body didn't look like my own. I was much skinnier now than I'd ever been. I was downright boney right now. On top of that was the ugly marks all across my body and the not so cute scar on my stomach from where I had had to have surgery to stop the eternal bleeding.

I grabbed the shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and razor and stepped beneath the warm spray of the shower.

The water felt amazing on my sore body. I could stand here forever, but I know Owen is waiting right outside. I stupidly feel a little embarrassed that I am naked right now and he is just on the other side of the door. I hurriedly washed my hair and body. I shaved my legs with a little more effort. I hopped out and dried off as fast as was possible. I know guys hate waiting on girls. At least Trevor always did. He'd tease me endlessly for taking so long in the bathroom. My showers usually run an hour long with another half hour of putting on my makeup and doing my hair.

I didn't want Owen to wait too long so I pulled on the grey sweat pants and maroon long sleeved t-shirt he'd brought me and towel dried my hair a little then stepped back into the room.

Owen was stretched out on the bed and he had been looking down messing with his phone. He smiled at his phone and then noticed my presence and he looked up at me. The smile fell from his face.

Dang. I should have spent more time in the bathroom. I cut my eyes away from his feeling bashful and went to sit cross legged on the sofa. He cleared his throat and sat up off the bed, stretching his long arms over his head and yawning.

"If you're tired you don't have to stay. It's no problem." I said trying to sound cool.

I saw him glance up to the clock. It's only 7:00. He must have had a long day to already be so tired. Or the only person I know doesn't want to hang out with me and is just pretending to be tired.

He eased my nerve a little when he shook his head and came toward me. "I have a little time." He stopped in front of me and tilted his head. "You mind if I sit?" He asked.

I scooted over to give him some room. "Go ahead." I told him without looking at him. I couldn't even turn my head his way. He makes me so nervous anytime he is around. If I was dating him though I should try to get to know him. Surely there is more to him than just being highly attractive.

I could feel that he was looking at me, but I pretending to be really trying to focus on reading the guide on the TV. I was flipping through the movies and shows that were on but I didn't know what most of it was. I stopped on one that was showing a movie called 2012. "Hey, we didn't die!" I blurted out. I dared to peek his way and regretted it instantly.

"What?" He asked confused.

I pointed at the TV. "2012." I said like it was obvious what I meant. "I was so terrified for years that the world was going to end on 2012. I would literally have nightmares." I smiled at him. "We didn't all die." I said again. "The world went on."

He shrugged his shoulders at me. "Nope, all still here." He agreed.

I dropped my smile. I felt my eyes grow wet and I turned away from him so that he wouldn't see me cry.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked.

"We aren't all still here." I whispered. I was thinking of my parents. I felt a warm hand rest on my knee. I turned my face to look at it and then back up to his face.

"I'm sorry about your parents Cassie." He said gently.

I nodded my head and wiped my tears away from my face. I tried to cheer back up. I went back to scanning the titles. "What's Teen Wolf?" I asked trying to keep my tone light.

"It's some show on MTV. I've not really watched it." He replied. "We can watch that if you want to, or whatever. I don't really care."

I clicked on it and the show came back from a commercial. I had started to get interested after the first two episodes. By the fourth I was hooked. I turned to say something to Owen but when I looked at him I realized his eyes were closed and he had fallen asleep.

His broad chest was rising and falling slowly. Every now and then his eye lids would flutter a little like he was dreaming about something. I couldn't decide if I should wake him up so he could go home, or if I should just let him sleep. I looked at the door and saw where he'd laid his motorcycle helmet and jacket. He really didn't need to be driving that of all things while he was sleepy.

I went to the bed and pulled off one of the blankets then draped it across his body. He shifted a little but he didn't wake up.

I turned off the light and climbed into bed.

It was hours later and two seasons into the Teen Wolf Marathon when he started to move around. I had just been about to go to sleep but now that he was waking up I couldn't even pretend to be asleep. I sat up slowly as he stood up grumbling.

"Hey, you fell asleep." I whispered to him.

"Yeah?" he said sarcastically. "I would've never known." He was acting like he was pissed. "Do you see what time it is? Why wouldn't you wake me up?"

I was so surprised that he was giving me attitude. "I'm sorry." I said pathetically. "I just didn't think you should be driving while you were tired. Especially not a bike."

He walked across the room and yanked his jacket on and grabbed his helmet. "I said I only had a little time. You should have woke me up. It's not up to you to decide if I should be driving or not." He stormed out of the room and I was left in a puddle of confusion in his wake.