Chapter Thirty-Three

Cassie

I woke up to the sound of the waves and the smell of the sea.

I rolled over in bed and looked out the large glass doors that led to the balcony. Owen was sitting outside in one of the plastic patio chairs and sipping a beer. It was an incredible sight. Owen with the ocean as his backdrop. It would be hard to think of a better way to wake up. I rolled out of the bed and grabbed a sweat shirt and pulled in on over my t-shirt then grabbed the blanket that was folded on the small couch next to the bed and walked out to join him.

He was staring down at his phone and his face was wrinkled with worry. "What's the matter?" I asked him with my sleepy voice.

He set his phone down on the little table and reached for my hand to pull me to sit with him. "Nothing you need to be concerned with." He said. "Today is your big day."

I sat down in his lap and pulled my legs up into the chair then covered us both with the blanket. I nuzzled my head into the curve of his next and stared out into the endless ocean in front of us. The sun was shining so bright, and the seagulls were playing their games. It looked like a perfect day. I hoped really hard that it would be, but the thought of trying to see my family today was actually a lot scarier than I had thought it would be.

"What are you thinking about?" Owen whispered.

"I'm scared." I admitted.

"Of what?" He asked, angling his head to be able to look at me.

I dipped my head lower to avoid his gaze. "I'm just nervous about today." I told him. "I worry that they won't see me, or that I won't be able to fix things. I'm scared if they do see me, what things I will find out." I sighed. "Also, I am just sad that I will be going home but not seeing my parents."

Owen kissed the top of my head and wrapped his arms around me tighter. "I am going to be here for you, as much as you want me to." He told me. "I know that today isn't going to be easy. It's probably going to be real hard, and I am sure it may hurt more than you expect, but just remember that there is nothing that can be done about the past. You can't hold yourself responsible for any of it. It wasn't you. I don't want you carrying that guilt. You're going to find out what you can, and then move forward. It's all you can do. The way you talk about your family having been so close, I find it really hard to believe that they would turn you away." He paused for a while, letting all of that sink in, then he sighed deeply. "I am so sorry about your parent's Cassie, but you know they loved you. That is something so many people in this world don't get. You had two parents who gave you the world and cared deeply for you."

"I know you're right, it just still hurts. Knowing I won't see them again. Not knowing what happened. I wish I could tell them I love them, just one more time." A soft sob found its way through me.

Owen wiped my tears and held me until I was sure I was ready to get dressed and leave.

***

We ate lunch at my favorite spot on the beach, 8th Avenue Tiki Bar & Grill. They have the most amazing coconut shrimp and Owen would not stop going on and on about how good his Tennessee Honey drink was. I had delayed as much as I could there. I took forever to order, then ate so slow my food was cold before I finished it. I tried to talk Owen into walking on the beach, but he could tell I was just trying to put off the hurt that I knew was coming.

"What's the address?" He asked as we got into the truck.

I laughed nervously. "You don't need to put it in the GPS, I can tell you how to get there from here."

He gave me a cocky grin. "I don't know," He smiled. "I learned a long time ago to never trust a woman with directions."

I punched him in the arm as hard as I could, but I am sure he hardly felt it. "You are such a butthead!" I yelled.

He threw his head back laughing. "Well you must like buttheads then."

"I must." I said rolling my eyes.

The directions were easy and we pulled into the drive way only a short 15 mins later. I couldn't get over how different the house looked. The first thing I noticed was that it had been painted. It used to be a soft yellow with burnt orange shutters and a red front door. Now it was a nice white, with black shutters and a black door. I know this must have happened after my parents died. They would have never allowed this, they loved their beach themed home.

Other than that, the two story home looked like I remembered. The palm trees out front still lined the long driveway, and there was still a tire swing right out front.

I saw a little boy run from the front porch and into the house.

Owen put the truck in park in front of the garage and hopped out. I, on the other hand, was frozen in my seat. Owen looked back at me from the front of the truck then walked around to my side and opened my door. "Come on angel." He said pulling my arm gently, but with force to get me out of the seat. "It's going to be ok. Do you want me to go to the door with you?"

I was incapable of speech so I just nodded my head.

I took a deep breath and walked up the stairs on the porch and knocked on the front door. I could hear people were inside, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. The door finally crept open and Margo stepped out onto the porch, closing the door behind her. Her blonde hair was shorter now than I remembered. Her blue green eyes stabbed at me with that fierceness that only Margo has. "What are you doing here Cassie?" She asked harshly.

"I came to see you." I said softly, my voice wavering just a little from my nerves. "I've missed you."

Margo crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. "What do you need now Cassie? It must be good for you to actually come all the way home."

I shook my head. "You don't understand." I told her. "I don't want anything from you, I just needed to see you. I was hoping you could help me with the holes in my memory...I just...I need my sister."

She snorted. "You're seriously still trying to pull that bit?" She laughed sarcastically. "That was a nice touch having someone else call us and tell us you'd been in some accident. You really are getting good."

"What are talking about?" I asked confused.

"Save the bull Cassie." She snapped.

Owen stepped in front of me. "She is telling you the truth." He said angrily. "Cassie almost died." He told her emphasizing the last word.

"Oh? Really? Who are you anyway? Are you her boyfriend of the week or the drug dealer who needs the money she owes you?" Margo accused him.

My eyes were burning from the tears trying to come out.

"You are un-fucking-believable!" Owen shouted at her. "This isn't some joke. Your sister was seriously hurt and needed her family and you refused to speak to her."

Margo turned to go back into the house. "I've heard all of the sob stories I can take for one lifetime, y'all just need to leave."

Owen stepped between her and the door. "We aren't going anywhere until you hear us out."

"I'm going to call the police." Margo threatened.

"Call them then, I don't give a fuck." He told her. "What's it going to take for you to fucking believe the truth that you are being told? Do I need to take you to a hospital and have her doctor fax them the charts for you to see so you will finally stop being so goddamned stupid?"

"Yeah." Margo said. "I am sure you'd be able to do that." Her voice was full of sarcasm.

"Let's go, right now." He challenged her.

Margo wavered in front of him. "I'm not going anywhere with you two." She told him. "I will look up the hospital myself and call them to see if they have any records on you other than all of your overdoses." She said looking at me with a sick grin. "I'm not letting you play me again, or anyone else in this family. I will get to the bottom of it myself and when I find out you're lying I want to never see you again." She spat before going into the house and slamming the door in our faces.