Chapter Thirteen

Cassie

"Are you sure you are ready for this Cassie?" Dr. Travon asked me as we walked out the front doors of the hospital.

I looked to him and smiled. "Are you sure I am ready for this?" I joked with him.

He laughed and walked me to the cab that was waiting. "I'm positive you can handle this." He opened the door of the car for me and I slid in handing the driver a piece of paper with the address on it. Dr. Travon threw my one bag into the trunk and then came back to lean into the car. "I'm so glad you and Mr. Tracer were able to sort out this arrangement. I'm sure it won't be long and you'll be on your feet and able to move back home." He gave me a parting smile and then closed my door for me. I hear him as he walked to the driver side window and told the driver to make sure he took me straight there and that I made it alright, then he slipped the driver an extra $20 on top of what he'd already paid him.

I fidgeted in the backseat as the cab began to pull away from the hospital. I was so nervous about this new endeavor. The last I remembered I was still living at home with my parents. For me, this is the first time I will have ever been out on my own. The idea was scary, but also slightly exhilarating.

I practically shoved my face against the window I was so excited to be seeing the city. I'd always talked about wanting to come here but I never thought I'd actually do it. I used to sit in my room late at night and watch Broadway musicals on my computer at all hours. The ones I especially liked I would act out all through the night.

I've always been into drama. In school I was the lead in almost every single one of our productions. Acting, and singing were the highlights of my day. On nights of our shows my stomach would fill with butterflies, but not the bad kind. They were the kind that meant you were anxious to do something. I'd be standing behind the curtain itching for it to open. Seeing the smiles on the audience's faces, or hearing them cheer as I hit a high note were what I lived for. Even now sitting in this cab in the actual New York City, I was craving the warmth of the stage lights on my body.

I couldn't get enough of watching the hundreds of people shuffling along on the busy sidewalks. Everyone looked so glamorous to me, just by being a New Yorker they were in a higher class than anyone else.

The sidewalks got less and less busy as we went along. Eventually we pulled to a stop in front of a pretty nice two story brownstone. I was surprised it was so nice. I had expected for Owen to live in a dump. Or at the very least a more rundown neighborhood, but this was a nice part of Brooklyn.

I thanked the driver and grabbed my bag from the trunk. I walked up the steps and when I got to the door I stole a peek over my shoulder to see the cab pulling away.

I waited just a moment longer until the cab turned out of sight and then I bolted away from the door and up the street.

No way was I going to go stay with that jerk.

***

After a couple of blocks I found a little convenience store that had an ATM I could use. I took out all the cash I was allowed to take out and shoved it into my bra while no one was looking. It was just under $200 and I knew that wasn't going to last me long here. I bought a pack of sour patch kids for the road and then hit the sidewalk to hail a cab.

I needed to find a job and quick. I asked the driver if he knew of anywhere that would be hiring and he dropped me off in a rather sketchy looking area of the Bronx. "Where at exactly?" I asked him titling my head back into the cab.

He laughed. "Just walk up these streets and you'll see at least a dozen help wanted signs." He took his money and pulled away.

Ok. I can do this. It's no big deal. I am a New Yorker after all, I told myself. I slung my bag over my shoulder and walked with my head high and shoulders back. This will be a piece of cake, who wouldn't want to hire me?

The answer to that was a lot of people.

I tried a couple of diners, but they wanted someone with food service experience. I joked with a few owners that is was possible that I had a ton of experience, but they hadn't thought it was as funny as I had.

I walked into every single place that had a sign up, and it was starting to get later in the day. A couple of hours from now I would be losing the sun and that was not a good thing. I may not know much about New York life yet, but I am smart enough to know you don't want to get caught in a bad neighborhood all alone after dark.

I turned a corner and saw a place with a sign stuck to the outside of their blacked out windows. I crossed my fingers at my sides as I pushed open the big black door and walked inside.

No chance.

This is obviously some type of gentleman's club.

I may be desperate, but this desperate? I may need to take my chances on the street tonight.

I turned on the heels of my shoes to bolt on out of here but someone grabbed my arm. "Can I help you lady?" A short greasy man with a mostly bald head asked me. "We don't open for another hour and a half." He said. He smelled like bad BO.

I tried to smile sweetly as I politely took my arm away from his grasp. "I just saw the sign and I thought...But never mind I wouldn't..."

"You ever danced before?" He slurred a little.

"Oh, no sir." I said trying to back away.

"What about the bar? You any good behind there?"

"No, that's ok though. I'm just going to go..." I turned away from him.

The man grabbed me again and pulled me further into the club. There were some girls walking around whipping the tables off but they didn't pay me any attention. He led me over to the large bar to the left of the little stage that was set up and then he not so sweetly nudged me behind it.

"Trix," He called to the girl who was doing something with the bottles behind the bar. "This here is...Oh, what'd you say the name was?" he asked looking back to me.

I stared at him wide eyed. What in the heavens is going on right now? "My name is Cassie, Cassie Clark." I told him after a second of awkward silence.

"Trix, this here is Cassie Clark, get her trained and ready. She's going to help you behind the bar tonight." He told her.

The man reached out and pulled the bag off of my shoulder. "I take it you'll be needed a place to crash for the night as well?"

I was still a little caught up in what was happening but I nodded my head anyway.

"Okay girl here is the deal." His head wobbled around as he spoke. He must already be drunk before they even opened. "You can work here as long as you can keep up with Trix. If not, you'll have to go. You can sleep here for a while, but I don't pay you shit. Any money you get in tips, I get half but you can keep the rest." He gave me a once over. "That sounds pretty damn fair to me, how about you?"

It was the best offer I had gotten all day. I wouldn't be doing anything wrong, just tending the bar. Surely that was better than sleeping on the streets. I only need to be here long enough to get enough cash to get myself home. "Yes sir. It does. Thank you so much."

"The names Carl, sweetie." He said walking away.

"Thank you so much, Carl!" I thanked him again. He just waved his hand over his shoulder and disappeared into a room marked "Crew".