Chapter Thirty-Six

Cassie

"Cassie, I am so sorry." He said crossing the distance between us. "I am so sorry I didn't believe you when you called." He bowed his head ashamed.

"Oh, Trevor." I sighed, wrapping my arms around him. "Please don't feel bad after everything I put you guys through, I completely understand now why you didn't believe me."

Trevor put his arms around me too and squeezed me tightly like he was making sure I was real. "I've been so torn up worried about you." He whispered. "I should have come up there and brought you home kicking and screaming."

I laughed. That would have been a very Trevor thing to have done. "It's probably a good thing you didn't." I admitted. "I most likely wouldn't be here now." He released me and I could see he was looking me over. Neither of us could quit smiling. My cheeks were starting to hurt, but I didn't even care. Trevor hadn't changed a bit. His sandy light brown hair still perfectly swept across his forehead, he still had those mesmerizing blue eyes, and the most perfect smile. Trevor could make any girl week in the knees with just one flash of his pearly whites. Trevor was hands down the most attractive guy I had ever dated.

I cut my eyes back to Owen, who I had completely forgotten was here. Owen was ruggedly handsome, certainly more than Trevor. Trevor was exactly the type of guy I typically go for. Standing now in a room with the both of them I felt incredibly awkward. Especially when I saw the look on Owen's face. You'd have thought someone just punched him in the face. He was staring at Trevor with so much disgust.

Trevor was completely oblivious to it. "Cass, sweetheart, you look just as gorgeous as the day you left here." Trevor complimented me with that sweet southern accent of his. "I'm so happy you're back, you planning on staying?" He lifted a hand to caress my cheek.

I was feeling super uncomfortable. "Um, you know I hadn't really gotten that far yet." I told him. "I only just got here a day ago, so I will be staying for a while, but I'm not sure yet...you know, long term."

I could see the disappointment on his and Margo's faces. "Why would you ever want to go back to that place?" Margo asked me.

I sighed. "I know it is hard to understand, but I actually do like it there." I explained. "I want to try acting again." I said meekly.

"Wow." Was all Margo said.

Why wasn't Owen backing me up here? All he was doing was sitting on the couch next to Kyle and pretending to be interested in the news on the TV. "I know that's disappointing to y'all, but I swear I will not let what happened last time happen again. I can handle it. If I even start to feel the least bit of pressure I swear I will come home."

Margo came to me and hugged me. "I just want my sister to be happy." She said finally.

"I have complete faith in you Cassie." Trevor added. "If you really want to do it, I support you." He said kindly, although it was unnecessary.

"Thanks guys, I love y'all so much." I told them. "I'm feeling pretty exhausted though, I think I am ready to head back to the hotel." I said pointedly at Owen, who was still ignoring me.

Margo slapped my arm. "Oh please, you are staying right here, not some hotel." She said matter of fact. "I will go set up the guest room, Owen has to sleep on the couch though." She added.

Owen finally decided to join in the conversation. "Oh no problem, I am actually going to head back to the hotel tonight." He smiled at her. "Goodnight everyone." He said to everyone but me and then walked to the front door.

"Excuse me." I told Trevor and Margo as I followed Owen outside. He was already stepping up into the cab of the truck when I grabbed his door before he could close it. "Owen, wait!" I yelled at him as he started the truck up. "What are you doing?"

He kept his eyes trained on the driveway in front of him. "I'm going back to the hotel Cassie, what does it look like?" He snapped at me.

I grabbed at his hand, trying to pull it away from the steering wheel, but he wouldn't budge. "Hey, what's wrong?" I asked confused by his attitude. "Did I do something, are you mad at me?"

Owen sighed exasperatedly. "No Cassie, you didn't do anything." He relented. "I am just tired, and ready to go." He told me, still not looking at me. "You need to stay here with your family, maybe I will see you tomorrow."

"Maybe you will?" I repeated him. "You can stay here with me Owen, you don't have to go." I said. "I want you to stay with me."

"Not tonight Cassie." He said then pulled my hand away from the truck door. "I've got to go. I will see you tomorrow."

"Will see?" I asked desperately.

He finally turned his face to mine. "Dammit Cassie, yes." He said. "I will see you tomorrow." He slammed the trucks door. "Bye." He said through the open window, and then sped up the driveway leaving me in a cloud of dirt.

I stood there for a while, until I couldn't see the glow of his headlights anymore, then turned back to the house. Trevor was standing on the porch waiting for me. I tried to quickly wipe away the tear that had slid down my cheek, but he'd already seen it. "Come here Cassie." He said as I got close, then he pulled me into a sweet hug. I leaned into him, liking the comfort that I always found in Trevor. "I don't know why he behaved like that." I said into Trevor's chest.

"Is he your boyfriend?" He asked.

I thought about it for a minute. "Well, no." I said. "We've been seeing each other for a while, he's been helping me with everything." I told him. "He's the one who paid to get me down here."

"But you guys aren't anything official?" Trevor asked again.

I glanced up at him. "I don't guess so, we never said we were or anything."

"In that case." Trevor whispered then grabbed my face and kissed me sweetly.

I pulled away and brought my hand up to my lips. "I think I'm going to go to bed now." I said turning on my heels and going into the house.

Trevor followed. "Cass, I'm sorry." He called. "Please come back." He pleaded.

I turned to face him. "It's ok, it's just been a long day." I told him.

He pulled me in for another hug. "I'm sorry, I just got caught up in the moment. I still have feelings for you Cassie, I never stopped. I actually thought you and I were going to get married before you moved away. I can't help, being around you know, having the thought that maybe you're back now so we have another shot at this. We were great together, the best actually. I really want another chance, but I am not rushing you. I know this is a lot to take in, I just want you to know I am here." He kissed my head and then backed away from me. "I just want you to think about it, I will let myself out." He said as he turned to walk back out the front door.

I sat down on the bottom stair and tried to clear my head. This has been a mix of both the best day, and the strangest. Owen is acting weird, Trevor wants to be me with me, and I am just stuck in the middle. I pulled out my phone and sent Owen a quick message.

Please let me know when you make it back to the hotel...I miss you already.

It was true.

Even with everything that just happened with Trevor, I want Owen to be here.

I waited up a couple hours, but he never responded.