Chapter Twenty-Two

Owen

I woke up feeling like shit. I wouldn't have expected anything less after that fight. I've got to learn to stop stepping in for people.

I'd showed up at Marco's already knowing they were pissed with us. I handed everything over and the whole ordeal should have been over, but then Troy's dumbass had to pop off a smart comment about them being greedy with their take this time.

One of Marco's guys had grabbed Troy up like a ragdoll and was about to start pounding him when I got between them. It had been a pretty even fight between us. Our own guys had to pull us apart after a while went by and no one was giving in. We probably would have fought until the death had nobody separated us. Of course Troy's cocky ass walked out of there without a scratch. Next time he can fight his own battles. Wesley still won for having gotten the worst. They didn't rough him up, but there would be no getting that hand back. I hated it for him, he was a good guy. Well, as good as they come in the business.

I had some horrible cotton mouth and tried to get up but everything hurt. On top of the pain I noticed there was something at the other end of the couch.

I opened my eyes to look and I saw Cassie curled up like a baby and fast asleep.

She'd slept down here with me? I wonder why she would do that.

I thought back to last night and how kind she had been to me. The girl has potential to be a good nurse the way she cleaned me up. She had been so sweet and gentle. She even spent her own money on me to get me medicine. That was the most surprising. I know she has been trying to save it as hard as she can, yet she was still willing to give it up to help me. Cassie is such a sweetheart it doesn't even make sense.

How can a person go from being this perfect girl, to turning into the monster she was before?

I honestly hope she never gets any of her memories back. That may be cruel, but I mean it. Not because it would be good for me and the guys that she doesn't remember, but because she is just too great now to ever risk going back to the old her.

I moved my legs off the couch to try to give her some more space, but she still didn't look like she could be comfortable. I got up and knelt beside her. I carefully put my hands under her, and ignored the screaming pain from my own body, so that I could pick her up and cradle her in my arms. She was so light it was hardly that much effort. She stirred slightly but didn't wake up. I carried her carefully up the stairs and into her room. I pulled the blanket on her bed back and gently laid her down. I stared at her beautiful face.

I don't think I have ever thought of a girl that way before. I usually look at them and think they are sexy or hot, even gorgeous. Cassie though, Cassie is beautiful.

I slipped off her shoes and then pulled her blanket up to her shoulders. I leaned in and touched my hand to her cheek. I let it rest there for just a second too long. The memory of her taking off my shirt last night popped into my head and I had to take my hand away from her.

I cannot sit and stare at her like this. I think of too much shit. I keep telling myself I don't feel anything for her, but when I look at her like this it gets harder to convince myself. Cassie is getting under my skin and I don't know how to stop it. I think of calling Baily, but I am way too sore for that kind of activity.

I cross the hall and lay down in my bed. Instantly I remember that this is where Cassie slept last. I'm probably imagining it, but I feel like I can smell her here. I close my eyes and imagine that she is lying next to me, then I easily drift back to sleep despite the pain I'm feeling all over.