Chapter Twenty-Six

Cassie

I haven't been able to focus on the movies since that girl got here.

I know Troy said that Owen was a player, but I hadn't seen it first-hand until now. I didn't really expect it to make me feel the way it did. As soon as I opened the door, especially at that hour, and I saw that gorgeous girl standing there, my heart sank into my stomach. I can't even began to explain it, but it was like I knew why she was here, and I didn't like it.

I've not been insecure before. I was always complimented by the boys back home, and I haven't ever felt inferior to another girl before, but when she walked in my mouth must have dropped. She had fiery red hair that had so much volume to it she looked like she walked right out of a shampoo commercial. Her almond shaped green eyes were so striking it was unreal. She was at least a foot taller than me and super curvy in all the important places. I couldn't help thinking, no wonder why Owen would want to have her here.

I stood there watching them like a dunce when he grabbed her and kissed her. They probably think I am such a loser. I bet they went into his room and laughed at the dumb little girl sitting downstairs.

Troy cleared his throat, reminding me that he was still sitting next to me. I tried to smile, and act like everything was cool, even though in my head it wasn't.

He squeezed my shoulders and then leaned to the table to get a sip of his beer.

Troy actually spit in the middle of taking a drink when Owen's friend walked through the room and into the kitchen. My eyes bugged and Troy's face turned red.

She had walked in wearing the same t-shirt that Owen had just been wearing. It just barely touched the top of her thighs. Her long toned legs were on full display and it was beyond obvious what she and Owen had been doing upstairs. I liked to think they were just watching TV like I was doing with Troy, but now it was right in my face that they had been having sex.

She walked back through carrying two beers in her hands. "Owen shouldn't drink with his medication." I blurted.

She gave me a nasty glare as she passed the couch, Troy was careful to keep his eyes on the movie this time. "I think he will be fine sweetie, but thanks." Her voice was full on snotty.

I don't like her one bit. Even if she is really good looking, why would a guy want to be with a girl who is such a snob? She can't be nice to be around. I rolled my eyes and went back to watching the movie. If Owen gets sick or something, she can deal with him. I am still slightly annoyed at his 'thank you' earlier. I had tried to be so sweet to him, and he hardly even acted like he remembered that I had done it.

I don't know what I was expecting.

I pretended to be really interested in the last half of the movie, even though I was only looking at it, not actually taking it in. Troy had been nice, he'd make a joke every now and then, or even just smile at me. I felt bad for not paying attention to him. I leaned into him slightly and he tightened his arm around me a little more. I rested my head on his shoulder until the final credits finished rolling.

He looked at his watch and I could sense that he was needing to leave. I stood up and walked him to the door. We were in the middle of a goodbye hug when Owen and his friend came down the stairs and walked over to the door too. I was happy that at least this time she was fully dressed. However, Owen was shirtless and only had on a pair of low hung plaid sweats. I tried really, really hard not to look at him, but his body was ripped.

Owen caught my eyes wondering and he smiled at me then pulled that girl's face to his and kissed her with his mouth open.

Two can play that game.

"So Troy," I said pretending not to notice their obnoxious display. "Do you want to go out on Thursday night? I can take off that night if you do." I asked him when we stopped hugging.

His smile was genuine and adorable. "Of course, is 7 good?"

I smiled back, "Yeah, that'd be great." Then I peeked to Owen and saw that he was watching my face. I surprised Troy, and myself when I stepped in and kissed Troy softly on the lips. He kissed me back instantly, and then smiled so big as he backed up and went out the door.

I made a quick turn, careful not to even look their way in the slightest, and went up the stairs. I went to my room and got into the bed with a grin on my face. If Owen thinks he is getting under my skin with that snotty girl, he is wrong.

Well, actually he was right. However, I didn't want him to know that. How lame would it be if he knew that him kissing her in front of me bothered me? At least now that I kissed Troy too, it won't seem like I am just creeping on him.

I pulled up my blankets, not even bothering to change my clothes and tried to get some sleep. I have been up for so long, and even if I fall asleep right this second, I am only going to get a few hours of rest before I have to head back to work. On the plus side though, I will be off on Thursday so I only need to get through this next shift then I get a break and maybe I can actually see some of New York.

Just the possibility was enough to give me happy dreams.