Chapter Forty

Cassie

Everything happened so fast.

As soon as I confronted Holloway about his dirty secret he had quickly jerked his gun up and in my direction.

I closed my eyes tightly and gasped as I heard the gun fire.

I was panting hard, waiting for the pain to start, or for the second bullet but it didn't come.

I heard commotion in front of me and I opened my eyes to see Holloway laying on the ground bleeding from his shoulder, and Troy standing in the doorway of the balcony holding a gun out. Owen jumped from the bed where he was sitting and climbed on top of Holloway, snatching the gun from his hand and grabbing his arms to pull them behind his back. I was in shock from it all. I just watched the scene in front of me in complete disbelief at what had just happened here.

Holloway gurgled a loud moan as Owen Shoved his knee into Holloway's back and then pulled his arms back even tighter. Troy ran across the room and grabbed the rag from the floor and shoved it into Holloways mouth then returned to me and helped me up out of the closet and walked me to the opposite side of the room and helped me sit in a chair he brought in from the balcony. He walked away for just a moment then returned with the key to the handcuffs and released me from their unforgiving grasp. I massaged at my wrists where the deep indentions were.

"God, Cassie. Are you ok?" He asked me holding my face in his hands and turning it back and forth inspecting me.

I couldn't talk just yet. I was still trying to process what was happening. I just nodded my head to Troy and continued rubbing at my wrists.

Troy left me there and moved over to Holloway and Owen who were still on the floor. Troy pulled his gun back out and pointed it at Holloway's face as Owen stood him up and cuffed his hands. "The bathroom." Owen said to Holloway. "Go." He pointed to the bathroom.

"Can't let you bleed out on the nice carpet, we won't get our deposit back." Troy joked to him.

Owen and Troy were both smiling. How could they possibly be enjoying this? They're just have a grand old time and I am over here experiencing the worst day of my life. Okay, maybe second worse. Still, this isn't something to be enjoying yourself about. Who are these people I have let in?

I stood up and followed them to the bathroom. Owen pushed Holloway to sit on the side of the tub. His sick eyes found their way up to mine. The man had the nerve to smile at me around the rag in his mouth. Owen turned and saw me standing in the doorway. "Go back to the other room Cassie." He demanded.

"No." I told him.

He gave me a look but I ignored it.

I walked right up to Holloway and leaned in. "Do you need the gag or can you behave?" I asked.

He smiled again.

I pulled the rag out and he chuckled then winced at the pain it caused. "You're a little dynamo aren't ya?" He smiled.

"I want the truth." I said firmly. "Now."

"What truth would that be dear?" He asked playing dumb.

I crossed my arms. "I know it wasn't some 'crew' that killed your nephew and tried to kill me." I told him. "I want to know why."

Holloway raised his eyebrows. "Guess the docs were right then." He said simply.

Owen put his hand on my shoulder but I shrugged it off. He looked wounded but didn't try it again. "What are you talking about Cassie?" He asked me gently. "Do you remember something?"