Chapter VI

After shooting, we had a pretty relaxed day. We sat in the Den with a few drinks while they told stories.

"So tell me, what do you remember?" Atom asked.

"You heard him!" Civil slapped Atom upside the head. "He doesn't remember anything! What don't you get?"

"Ow!" Atom rubbed his hand on the back of his head. "Goddammit! You're abusive, you know that?"

"And you're a dumbass, did you know that?" Civil grumbled. "So what, you woke up on Route Guano?"

"What happened to 'why don't you get it?'" Wayward asked.

"Shut up," Civil snapped. "Nah, really kid, that's your life story?"

"So far, yeah," I sighed. "Not good enough for a Disney movie, but hey, it's a story!"

Civil laughed. "Yeah, I'd picture you as a Disney princess. Those two idiots can be the horses pulling your pumpkin-carriage."

"What?" Atom asked. "Me? Why not you?"

"I can't do that if I can't see!" Civil snapped. "You know that!"

I laughed through my drink. "You could. Three Blind Mice, you know?"

"Ah, shut up!" My turn to get bitch-slapped.

Damn! For a blind guy, he sure can hit right where it hurts!

For the first day of it, it was the best day of my life.

Until...

"I know you delinquents are in there! Open up!"

The four of us shut up real quick, even cutting the music.

"Open up! Your music is clearly above a reasonable volume! Whoever this is, let us in!" 

We just kept looking at each other, then to the door, then back at each other.

I had no idea what was going on, but before I knew it, something was thrown into my lap. I looked down to see it was the skull mask the Killjoy on the side of the road was wearing. I looked up at Atom, who motioned for me to put it on.

What scared me was that the voice seemed almost familiar. I didn't know who it was or where I recognized it from, but I knew it from somewhere.

Atom and I locked eyes for a minute. "What do we do?" I mouthed to him, and all he did was shrug in reply. "Dude. Really?"

He pointed at the back door with a small nod, and I nodded back. I took my rifle off my shoulder and cocked it as quietly as I could, which was a bit of a fail, since it was louder than hell.

We turned to Wayward, who nodded towards the front door where the knocking was coming from. He pointed at Atom, himself, and at the door, then at me, to Civil, then the back door. I took the message, but I didn't like it.

Take Civil and get out. Atom and I will cover you.

I shook my head at him. I couldn't. I wouldn't leave them behind, especially not Atom. It was too late now. He was as close to a best friend as I had since waking up, and I was not throwing that away.

I pointed at Atom and I. Me and him. You take Civil and go.

Wayward looked unsure for a minute before giving a reluctant nod.

"Last chance, dammit! Come out or we're breaking in!"

Wayward grabbed Civil and walked him over to the door. I looked back at Atom again, and he gave an affirmative nod.

Let's go.