Chapter XVII

Let's just say things didn't go as planned.

In the time I was able to grab the guy into a headlock, pull off his headphones, and drop them on the floor, the cops started firing.

What sucked was that they managed to hit my leg, not to mention the guy that I'd grabbed the headphones from, who I'd nicknamed Tom regardless of what his actual name was, which left me with blood on my hands even if he wasn't dead.

I kept going as fast as I could as could as two of the cops started questioning my friend Tom and the third came after me.  

Are you fucking kidding me? Just leave me alone! I need to do this!

I kept looking over my shoulder, and yep, he was there like stink on a guy that hadn't showered in weeks.

It was so annoying, really.

I took a quick turn into a building to my left. I yelled my apologies as I pushed people out of the way and slung my rifle off my shoulder.

Game time!

I pulled my rifle up to my shoulder and took aim just under the cop's shoulder, right at the heart. I placed my hand on the trigger and

"I'm dyin', Forrest."

I froze, my only movements being my slow breaths and my terrified shaking. I took in a sputtering breath and backed up.

I saw the face that had been both the source of my hope and spite in the same place I had been that fateful day.

He was at my side again. He was bleeding from under his shirt. He was talking to me again, exactly. He was making my heart drop and break. He was...he was...

Oh God...

I dropped my gun and backed up more. "N-no! I-I-I-I'm so sorry! I'm sorry!" I fell to my knees and put my hands into my hair. "I'm sorry!"

Before I knew it, I was lifted back onto my feet and hands were put behind my back.

"I'm afraid you're under arrest, infamous 'Lost Boy.'"

Dammit...Atom... I can't believe you've- no, I've- no, we've done this.

I'm caught.

"You know," the cop's voice rang out to me from behind. "I don't know why, but she really wants her hands on you. It's like you're the new Party Poison or something."

"'She?'" I asked. "Who is 'she?'"

"Why, Madam Director of course," the cop responded like it was the obvious answer in the world.

"Who?" I asked. "Is she the one in charge or something?"

"You're kidding me!" the cop exclaimed. "You don't know who she is?"

I sighed. I was getting real tired of telling people that I have no memory.

He was leading me towards a huge building towards the middle of the city. I'd never dared to go near it, no one in their right mind did.

I started whistling to attempt to calm myself down. I didn't know the song at first, it was some kind of orchestral song with an upbeat.

"King Cotton March?"

Wait, how did I know that?

"So how long until we're there?" I asked.

"What is that, sarcasm?" The cop slapped me upside the head. "I hate you teenagers."

The taste of copper tinged my mouth, as did a sting of pain in my tongue. Must've bitten it.

Asshole.

"And here we are," the cop sneered. "Hope you're ready for judgement day, kid."

It was definitely bigger up close. It was guarded to the teeth by more of those jumpsuit-wearing cops, masked soldiers (I guess they're called Draculoids? But oh well), and guys in white. They had some big guns, but still a lot different than mine. There was still the huge smiley face symbol with the words "BL Industries" underneath on the wall of glass for all of the broken world to see.

I sighed again. I guessed that meant my fate was sealed.

I'm finally dying. I don't know who I am, and I'm already dying.

"You know, something's been bugging me," the cop said. "You look like a guy, but you sound like a girl. What's the deal with that?"

I sighed again. "I'm transgender. Female to male."

His eyes widened, as did his mouth in a gasp. "That means- holy shit! No wonder she's looking for you!"