Chapter XVI

If I had one thing to look back on about that moment, there was one thought that was always in the back of my head.

I don't want to lose someone else. I'm sorry, Atom.

I'm so sorry...

"Someone call for me?"

"Gerard!" I yelled, rushing to him and wrapping my arms around him in joy. "I can't believe that you made it out! How did you do it?"

"You don't wanna know," Gerard said. "But we need to get to the desert before they see us again. Also, I'm taken, so you might as well let go."

I let him go. "Oh, sorry. Right, right."

"THERE THEY ARE!"

"That's our cue!" I said. "I'll get the groceries from the apartment. Flam, you go get the guys at their jobs. Gerard-"

"I'll distract the S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W/S," he said with a confident smile. "I'll come back again, promise. Bet it on my life!"

I gave a thumbs-up. "Great!

The two guys did their agreements and ran in different directions.

Okay, to the apartments. I think Silicone is off shift today, so she's gotta be there.

I'll go there first.

I quickly turned around and set course for the apartment complex.

I skidded to a stop.

Wait... I need to be more careful about this. Maybe...the alleys?

But I don't know the way of it that well...maybe better than I'd think.

All I need to do is figure this out.

My eyes scanned the area until I found an alley. Perf-

"THERE HE IS!"

I wheeled around to see two cops pointing at me with guns at their hands.

So much for using the alleys.

Unless...

I sprinted down the alley.

"SIR! PLEASE STOP SO WE MAY ARREST YOU!"

"YES! YOU MUST BE PUNISHED!"

"SIR, PLEASE COME OUT OF THE ALLEY! IT'S UNSANITARY!"

I rolled my eyes as I ran. What a bunch of losers. I'm so looking forward to when I kick their asses.

I ran faster than I thought I could, trying to figure out where the hell I was.

All the while, people wouldn't move out of the way, even if it meant I was clobbering them down as I ran.

It was actually pretty funny to clobber them down. All I heard was a chorus of "Oh dear!" and "My apologies!" and "Dear me!"

Those fucking pills are ridiculous. They don't even care except to apologize and get back up.

I ignored them all and kept on going. I needed some kind of distraction, but I didn't know what.

Headphones...

Headphones!

It's ingenious!

If there was one thing I'd learned while I was in the city, it was that there were headphone regulations. If someone didn't have headphones, they were arrested.

If I could use those to my advantage, I could lose the cops and get to the apartments.

I scanned the area for a good candidate to take their headphones. Someone close by that I could nab it quickly.

The perfect candidate was right in front of me. A guy wearing a hoodie with his BLI headphones on and probably at the 4.5 requirement.

Let's go.