Chapter XXI

"What?" I asked.

"Are you kidding me?" Civil asked. "You don't think that I couldn't tell since minute one? I've tried to hire you before!"

"What?"

"Yeah, you dumbass!" Civil said. "You wouldn't do it because it was the director!"

I had to say it again. "What?"

He slapped me upside the head. "Stop saying that, will y-"

BOOM!

I jumped back as the ground shook under me. "What the hell was that?"

"I think it was a bomb?" Civil said, but he sounded unsure of himself. Another explosion rang through the floor and my ears. "Yep. That's a bomb."

"LET'S GO!"

A new voice. I didn't recognize who it was at first, but Civil knew it instantly.

"Oh my God!" He was so excited that I noticed tears of joy were drooling out of the bottom of his sunglasses like a desperate waterfall. "It's Wayward! He's storming the fucking prison? Boy, look out the window and tell me what the hell's going on!"

I scrambled over to the window, tripping over my own feet and scraping my chin. "Ow! Damn!"

I looked out the window and had to jump back again. There was shrapnel coming towards us, and I'd forgotten that it was bulletproof. The smoke cleared, but more came up. I looked across the street and to the left at the huge Better Living Industries building. There was a ton of people in brightly-colored clothing running towards it with pistols in their hands.

No way! They're storming the HQ?

"Civil! Boy!" Wayward yelled, closer this time. "Where the hell are you?"

"Wayward! Over here!" I responded.

"Please! Wayward! Come here!" Civil threw himself against the bars of the cell, tears staining the front of his green and yellow jacket.

"I'm coming, Civil! Hang on tight and go to the back wall of the cell!"

Back wall? What the-

Holy shit. He's blowing up the cell wall!

"Okay Civil, time to do what he says!" I said, my urgency in my voice. He was hesitant, so I grabbed him by the back of his jacket and dragged him back.

I saw a few different Killjoys run past, but not Wayward.

I felt Civil trying to pull away from me, crying out to Wayward.

He's so different now that Wayward is in the question. Normally with him, he's just joking, acting like they hate each other. But now...now it's serious. It obvious that they care about each other. I mean, Wayward's running through a crowd of prisoners and all these Killjoys just for Civil. He's storming fucking Battery City for Civil!

Now that's what I call loyalty! Or is it...love?

"Get back you two!" Wayward ran in front of the cell door. There was a sense of urgency on his face, more than I could remember seeing on anyone's face. Civil tried to burst out of my grip, but I held him steady.

Yeah, that's right. It's love. That's it.

Wayward pulled not a bomb, but a mallet out of his pocket. I noticed Civil had stopped fidgeting, but he hadn't fully calmed down.

Wayward slammed away at that lock, an old-fashioned iron lock that was gone within a second, and I let him run straight to Civil and pull him into an embrace.

"Don't you ever do that again," Wayward sobbed. "Don't you ever think or dream about doing that again!"

"Don't worry," Civil said. "I won't."