Chapter XI

"No wait, I was kidding!"

"Good going, Soda!" Silicone snapped. "Now we're all in for it! What's next for us? Laundromat workers? Pharmacist, maybe? That sounds boring as fuck!"

"Why a pharmacist?" Kid asked, a laugh in his tone.

"Because why not a pharmacist? I don't know!"

"Okay, we're going to the room right now," the doctor cheerfully announced.

"Like hell you are!" Kid sneered. "I'm not taking your fucking weird meds!"

"Your words don't affect me, Zachary!" the doctor laughed.

"Whoa, hold up a second! How do you know my name?"

"Yeah, do you know mine?" I asked.

"Everyone, shut up," Silicone ordered. "Stop annoying the hell out of the poor Rat, will ya?"

"Well geez! Sorry for being an ass!" Kid sassed.

What is going on here?

Rats? Pills?

What?

The guy rolled us into a dark room and quickly shut the door. To our surprise, his smile turned into a serious frown.

"Alright, I want you to listen quick and listen good," he ordered. "I'm Noxious Coke. I'm a Killjoy like you guys, and I'm here to keep you alive."

"What?" I asked. "So you're not a doctor?"

"No, he's a veterinarian," Soda said. "No, he's not a doctor!"

"Well geez," I scoffed. "You don't need to be a bitch about it!"

"Did you not hear the 'listen quick' part?" Coke asked. "Look. You're being held hostage by BLI, and I think it's all because of you, Christoph."

"Me?" I asked, in shock. "Why me?"

"What do you mean, 'why me?'" he asked. "You're-" He froze, looking alert.

"Wha-"

"Shut up." He put his hand over my mouth. What was weird was that although he smelled like smoke and bathroom cleaner, but there was still the familiar smell of the desert.

He waited a little bit before taking his hand off of my mouth. "Anyway. You're being held for a ransom: the Girl for you five. The City's gone all Costa Rica, too. They've ordered that the City's borders be covered by all the S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W/S and exterminators they've got. No one's going near it."

"Wow, Mom and Dad have lost it!" Soda whistled. "So what's your plan here? Break us out?"

"That's the ultimate goal, yes," Coke replied. "But for now you've got to play along. I want you to take these." He held out an open palm with red and blue pills.

"I don't think that anyone here is getting what I'm saying," Soda sighed. "Let me say it slow and easy to understand: I-am-not-taking-"

"They aren't pills, nitwit!" Coke hissed. "They're candies that look like pills. If you have to take a test to make sure you have- and you will at some point while you're here- don't worry. These candies have most of the components the normal BLI pills do. They won't be able to tell the difference. You have to take them every morning and evening. Fake like you're one of the City residents, got it?" He was alert and frozen again. "I've been out here too long. Let's go. Fake it!"

What the heck just happened?