Ch.19 Why so nice?

Chloe's POV
The ride to the shabby apartment was quiet, Paige sat quietly looking out the window her legs crossed is some elegance with tattoos making her look beautiful. Her facial expressions are very, very hard to read. I use to see her in and out but I can't now, it's like I'm blind trying to dream when they have nothing to look at.
We get to the shabby, dirty apartment. I park and she looks at me. Her face is a little confused.
"You live here?" she asks
-yes, I moved here today
I reply to her honestly
She gives me a weak smile
"But why here" she continued
I hesitate but answer
-Kinda low on money since I have no job.
I laugh light with a cough trying to past this conversation.
She gives me a weak smile.
-So..you ready to go in
I ask hopefully
"Sure"
We get in and I put Karis in her baby bed. Paige observes the room. Snot green, ugly carpet. She then walks into the bathroom.
I wonder what she's doing I sit on the bed sad about the lack of contact. A minute later she storms out of the bathroom.
"No!"
I look at her with a questioning look.
-What?
"Your not living here," she says flatly
-...
"There's a fucking bug in your sink, and a rat on the floor!" she says discussed
I look at her like she's never seen a bug before. I guess she sees me not with her. She walks and sits down beside me. She looks away. Then at me in the eyes.
"It's not safe here, what about the baby, and where is Daniels?"
I'm a little taken back at her comment
-It's fine and, he's on the run.
"What?"
-long story
"Okay," she sighs then gets up,
"I'm serious, it's not safe here Chloe"
-then where else am I going to go, I have no damn money, Paige!
I spat.
She looks taken back and looks away
"With me"
-what?
"Live with me, just until you get back on your feet"
-no, I can't, you don't have to.
I hesitate
"Please" she whispers
-o,k

We make our way to the front desk were you check In your apartment and see the desk manager. He looks agitated and sleepy.
-Hey I would like to cancel the rent and everything I will no longer be living here
He looks amused
"I'm not taking any requests at this hour" he laughs.
I hear a sound from behind me, it's Paige she just knocked over a table. Then makes her way to the desk.
"She said to release her lease," she said gritting her teeth.
   The man sits up a little in his seat trying not to look fazed. Then out of nowhere Paige knocks over a glass vase that had fake flowers.
"Oops, my bad," she says sarcastically
He looks at her frightened
"Now release the lease," she says gritting her teeth.
  He looks at me then back to her then sighs heavily.

        2am
  Finally out of the meeting at the front desk, I'm free the paperwork is confirmed. We are walking the room to pack up. Paige has amazed me with her maturity and patience and kindness. She's changed.
   -Where to know?I ask
"My Apartment"

The drive to her apartment was quiet but a few directions. We get to the road the apartment was on and it looks really nice, clean streets, grass cut etc.
Paige's POV
I grab most of her bags, while she gets her baby. I have a lot of questions that need answers. But I have to hold back till she's comfortable with bringing them up, I'm not eager, I am but she doesn't need to know that.
We ride the elevator up to the 4th floor.
"This is a really nice place to live"
She says giving me a weak smile.
I look at her and keep walking, no emotions she can't see the real me, yet.
I unlock the door and step out of the way for her to go first.
She steps in and looks around kinda amazed staring every direction. It's like I was the first time I went to her house to help her out with Christmas decorations, good memories. But now the tables have turned now I'm the one with the house. She looks at me. I give her a smile, she offers one back.
I lead her into one of the big guest rooms, I still have most of her bags and almost collapse when I see the queen bed. I drop everything on the bed. While she holds the baby tightly. I give her a weak smile.
-you have your hands full
I laugh trying to lighten the silence
"Yeah, she's a hand full, but she's worth it"
She laughs sadly
I look around at the bags on the bed,
-I'll take her off your hands so you can get settled it if you want
She smiles widely and hands me the baby gently to me.
I hold the little baby with me and walk out of the room. I walk to the living room and lay her on the floor, she is one so she can crawl. She lays on the floor with a huge smile on her face.
Almost an hour later Chloe walks out of the guest bedroom with a weak smile on her face. I can tell she's tired.
She sits on the floor with me.
-her name?
"Karis"
-okay
The silent moments of fullness are beautiful.
It's probably almost 4 in the morning
-you need some sleep, there's a shower if you want to take one before you pass out, and I will go down the next hallway and see if I can talk to a friend of mine
"Will she be awake?"
-yeah, she's a doctor she gets home around this time, and she has a baby, and I will see if she has a play pin in storage somewhere.
-okay

I get back 15 minutes later with a portable play pin. I grab some wool blankets and place them in the bottom of the play pin. And put it beside the guest bedrooms bed where Chloe will sleep. I pick up Karis and she is sleepy so I place her in and turn the lights off and shut the door. I pace the bathroom and the shower is running. I smile and go to the living room and tidy up. After that, I make some coffee and relax in my love seat with a magazine. A couple minutes later Chloe Comes and joins me with clean PJs and her hair wrapped up in a towel.
I can see she wants to talk but before she can get a word out I speak softly.
-it's fine, get some sleep we can talk after your rest. I don't need answers.
She looks taken back but she smiles and gets up and walks toward me.
"Thank you,"
And with that, She walked into her room and closed the door.
I sip my coffee and decide I need some sleep to just in case Karis wakes up later.
What is this, what am I doing Paige?

Thank you so much for reading! Love you all so much. Make sure you leave a like, criticism always invited if you have any questions or comments just leave a comment. Anyway, make sure you check out my other books.
-Nemo