The Avengers

ANNA

I regained consciousness on the helicopter we arrived to the massive building in. I sat up and pulled the bullet out of my vest and reduced it to ashes with the red hot fire my hands produced. If that's what being shot with a bullet proof vest feels like, I'd hate to be shot at full on. I felt the back of my head, it was sore so I must have hit it when I hit the floor.

"About damn time!" Fury blurted and I snapped my head in his direction. Bad idea because my headache got worse. "I know that was your first time being shot at that range and this is your first real field mission but you're not allowed to take a rest like that next time. I don't want to have to contact your S.O." he said quickly.

I raised an eyebrow, still a little foggy, and not fully understanding him. He pointed outside the window. We were just lifting off and the building we were in was collapsing. I sobered up then. "What do you need me to do?"

"Attack." he said and opened the helicopter door, immediately firing at a moving vehicle. I shot fireballs at it but few hit before Loki retaliated with his spear, and the helicopter was sent barreling down. We jumped out and hit the ground before the helicopter. It landed yards away from us, aflame with the sharp blades cutting the earth. Fury still shot at Loki, but it was no use, he was too far away now.

"I can catch up to them." I said taking a step forward.

He held his arm out in front of me, stopping me. "No. That isn't a one man job." The look on his face told me he was afraid of losing me to Loki.

"Director?" the walkie talkies at each of our hips squawked with Phil Coulson's voice. "Director Fury? Agent Roarke? Do you copy?"

"Roarke is here." Fury responded. "The Tesseract is with a hostile force. I have men down. Hill?"

It was a few seconds before she replied and the wait almost made me have a heart attack. I let out a sigh of relief when she finally responded. "A lot of men still under. I don't know how many survivors." she sounded winded.

"Sound the general call. I want every living soul not on rescue looking for that briefcase." Fury said, still looking into the distance, but Loki and his new crew of Brainwashees were long gone, and out of sight.

"Roger that." Maria confirmed.

"Coulson get back to base. This is a level seven. As of right now, we are at war." as Fury said this my eyes widened. Only ten months on the job and this? I was told I was handpicked along with Maria by Fury to operate on his personal detail. I was fresh from the academy, just assigned my Supervising Officer, or S.O. a month before I was called in to work for Fury. Did he really think I could be apart of something like this?

"What do we do?" Phil asks.

Fury stands there looking up. Hope evident on his face. I looked up with him, faintly in the distance a couple of stars were twinkling. "We call in the people who can handle this."

"Sir, you don't mean..." Phil trailed off.

"The Avengers." the Director finished for him. He turned to me. "I think we might have to call in your S.O. after all."

____________ÆÆÆÆÆÆ____________

I stood outside the door, making sure no one could interfere as Fury entered a room to talk to the World Security Council. I don't think they knew I could hear their conversation. Or maybe Fury did know, and he wanted me to hear what they were saying. I listened, coming to the conclusion that the director knew because, 'enhanced senses' was definitely something they put on my file.

"This is out of line, Director. You're dealing with forces you can't control." one of the Council members spoke.

"You ever been in a war, Councilman? In a firefight? Did you feel an overabundance of control?" Fury tried to reason with them.

"You're saying that this Asgard has declared war on our planet?" humor and disbelief evident in his tone.

"Not Asgard. Loki." The director clarified.

"He can't be working alone. What about the other one? His brother?" the woman spoke.

Brother? Oh right, I remember now. That Thor guy who leveled a small town a few months ago. Weren't they gods? Why isn't this guy more afraid? I remember the stories my mother told me about Asgard, they weren't things you took lightly.

"Our intelligence says Thor is not a hostile force. But he's worlds away, we can't depend on him to help. It's up to us."

Why couldn't they see that this was the only way?

"Which is why you should be focusing on Phase 2, it was designed for exactly-"

"Phase 2 isn't ready, our enemy is. We need a response team." the Director cut him off.

I didn't have the clearance for Phase 2, but I still shuddered at the thought of what it might be.

"The Avengers Initiative was shut down."

"This isn't about The Avengers." Fury argued.

"We're running the world's greatest covert security network and you're gonna leave the fate of human race to a handful of freaks?" He scoffed.

I rolled my eyes, full of themselves, much? I'm sure the human race would be way better off without them, that's for sure.

"I'm not leaving anything to anyone." he concluded. "We need a response team. These people maybe isolated, unbalanced even, but I believe with the right push they can be exactly what we need."

I raised my eyebrow. Who could be possibly be talking about? I've never heard anything about any Avengers Initiative, but I'm only a a level five, so not knowing about that is expected.

"You believe?" one Council member asked with doubt.

"War isn't won by sentiment, Director." another Council member chastised.

"No, its won by soldiers." with that I heard him turn off the electricity in the room. The knob turned and he stepped out, he sighed.

"Sir." I acknowledged him.

"Roarke." he nodded back at me. "How do you like boxing?"

I tilted my head. "Boxing, sir?"

He thought about it and nodded. "Suit up. We're going to go watch a legend."